Thread: Shoes for pre-walkers/new walkers

Question Shoes for pre-walkers/new walkers

Alexander is at the stage where he is walking around furniture, standing by himself etc. He generally goes barefoot everywhere or socks, he doesnt own any "shoes". My DD Gabriella never wore shoes until a month or two after she was walking either.

So at what stage is everyone else putting their babies in shoes? I seem to recall reading somewhere that it is recommended NOT to put babies/toddlers in shoes until after they have started to walk - is this correct?

Thanks in advance.

One of my freinds is a podiatrist and she recomends letting them be as barefoot as possible - even footed clothes with too tight feet can be bad for baby feet because thier bones are so soft.
    I only put shoes on my boys if they need to keep thier feet warm or if they will be likely to be walking on ouchy surfaces.
    I try to get shoes with soft flexible soles.
    For the early walker you can get the shoes with the soles that are kind of like a textured canvas IYKWIM so they're warm and protective but still very flexible.

I have seen those soft "squishy" shoes and was debating getting them for Alex, only from a warmth and grubbiness when in some public places perspective.

Thanks Dachlo, I thought that podiatrists recommended to go barefoot but just wasnt sure of the exact reasoning.

Are Robeez available in Australia? If not, maybe google them, and see what you can come up with. They are soft leather "bootees" and are great for keeping socks on, and feet clean and dry. (Only for light outdoor use, though.) They really let the feet move the way feet are supposed too. They have nothing stiff about them, and nothing restrictive. They are a little pricey (about $30, Canadian) but they last really well. I've used mine for Elyse, my sister's daughter, and Marieke, and they are just starting to wear out. They wore them 24/7, just about. (well not truly - but whenever they were awake. ) They are washable. I'd really recommend them, if you can find them!

You can get prewalkers which are the soft soles. As long as their feet have room to spread and are not restricted ( which is what hard soled shoes do ) then they are ok to wear them

I just made sure I spent the money to get proper soft soled shoes...usually around 40-50 a pair at shoe stores.