Thread: Should a 2yr old know the right end of a texta/pen/crayon?

Default Should a 2yr old know the right end of a texta/pen/crayon?

I had my DH nephew over today - almost 2 in a couple of days. I sat him down with my DD (26 months) and got the colouring textas out. He didnt know what end to draw with. Didnt know what end of the texta the lid was. Didnt understand you drew on the paper, not the table itself. I was really surprised. His parents dont spend a lot of quality time with him- read him books, draw with him (obviously), sing with him they're excuse is 'hes not interested". He seemed interested today. I just thought it strange and ive been thinking about it all day - anyone else think so??

Matilda is 17months old and while she doesn't always get it right, she does 75% of the time turn the crayon/texta around. We do drawing around twice a week and she does it once weekly at her family day care, so it probably does have to do most with exposure.... :-k

True, if it isnt in his home, then how would he know. But isnt that sort of "banning", the wrong kind??? Isnt playdoh, blackboards, crayons and pens all those fun things your kid gets to explore at this age. I just felt sad that because his parents 'cant be bothered' or 'he will make too much mess' that he gets a little left behind his peers.......
    Maybe im just being over emotional.......

Melinda Guest

I've only just started introducing crayons to Jacob now......he is still wanting to put anything and everything into his mouth, so we had held off on this until now. We're hoping that he will now understand that it's much more fun to scribble with them than eat them (well hopefully! LOL). But so far, we just didn't want to be introducing those kinds of things when we knew he would instantly put them in his mouth IYKWIM? But now that he's getting beyond other activities and needing other forums of stimulation, we're giving it a go.....

I guess my point there is that perhaps they had a reason for not showing him these things earlier??? Not sure.....just thinking out loud!

I agree with you though, drawing, singing, reading, playdoh, blackboards, crayons etc - they are all so much fun for little ones and definitely bring back fond memories for me and ones that we hope to create for Jacob too. So yes, I think they are things that little ones need to explore.........

I hope that he soon gets the chance to participate in more of these activities and get those creative juices flowing! There's so much fun to be had.......

Hun, you answered your own question- saying that his parents don't spend quality time with him is the reason for this? So so sad- sorry, but if you can't fit in your children around yourselves then why have them.

Pietta Guest

I am in agreeance with everyone- exposure is definately the teaching tool. Ryley will pick up a crayon and draw with it, well scribble, he is 14 months, but we spend, like Christy, at least twice a week doing it.

Do you spend time with him often? Maybe you could teach him?

mbear maybe you and DH could buy him an etcher sketcher or something like that for christmas. It's a way that you could introduce drawing into his own house, when you're not with him. My DD got one last christmas, just after she turned 2, it's a TOMMY one, cost about $15. The pen thingy is attached and it is very easy to use. My DD loves it and is now starting to learn words on it.

I do agree the little one does need exposure to learn. It's sad that some parents just are'nt as prepared as others to help with this.

All the best, hope evrything turns out great.

Love

I see him once a week maybe. Im not saying im the most perfect mother in the world, but i know i put my DD first, and watching their face when painting, or drawing, or shovellign some sand is worth the mess afterwards.......its actually this little boys birthday very soon, i was going to get him some crayola crayons and textas - they come in cute packaging these days.....

I just guess im not as cautious as some parents are when introducing new play equipment....

Nadia - i so agree with what you say. Since having my DD ive seen how NOT to speak to your child, treat your child, or talk to your child. LIke you said, if you 'cant be bothered' then why ave em???

My oldest son is 12 and when he was little I bought him colouring pencils, felt pens, paints, crayons and a magna doodle and nothing. He never wanted to draw or paint or anything. I have very little artwork from when he went to kindy or preschool because he just didn't do any.

When my second son was 2 I'd try to read to him and things like that and he would try to run away. He did not want to sit and read together. Now he is older he will if its a book he likes.

So if they really aren't interested its probably better to wait until they show signs they are instead of forcing them.

froofy Guest

I think if he's been exposed to it, he should have some idea. But obviously he hasn't. We always had things to draw and paint with, plus playdough out as young as we could, so that when she did have an interest, the oppurtunity was there. If they often have access to it, then it gives them a chance to have a go when they are interested

I remembered last night that with my oldest DS I had to give him as homework in grade 1 pencil holding and scissor using lessons.