Thread: Should I wake him to feed?

Default Should I wake him to feed?

Since my milk came in, Sebastian has been feeding around every 1.5 - 2.5 hours, often sleeping mostly between feeds, as I guess is normal for a newborn. I just wondered if I should wake him up to feed him if he sleeps for longer? The other night I woke him up because it was really hot and I didn't want him to get dehydrated but on a normal night is it OK for him to sleep for about 4 hours without waking?

tia,
    Bec

Yes thats fine Sasha. As long as he's getting around 6 wet nappies a day he's getting enough fluid. I would wake him after the 4 hours though.

I agree with Natalie, I would wake him at the very least 4 hourly, especially if he is breastfeed. At 1 week of age I would expect every 3 hours but if he's doing 4 hourly overnight but more often during the day then that's ok.

I remember when DD was newborn I'd wake her 3 hourly in the day to feed if she was sleeping longer, which also helped getting her to know difference in night and day. And overnight just let her go but i don't think she ever went more than 4 hours.

maggie Guest

That seem snormal.. Congrats on the nirth of your little one

Also love the name, my 6mnth old is called Sebastian...

I'd let him go overnight until he wakes himself. You may have one of the rare bubbas that sleep through so enjoy it if you can! I wouldn't think he will dehydrate if he is feeding every 1 1/2 to 2 hours during the day.

During the day you could wake him after sleeping for 3 hours.

SossiGirl is offline Believes things do happen for a reason.. but sometimes would like to know what the reason is

Good question Sasha, I was wondering the same thing.

Oh, it's a tricky one! I wondered about this too. In the early days, I woke Natalie every three hours for a feed during the day, and let her go for 5-6 hours before waking her at night. Although, as Sammi said, if your bub is feeding more often during the day he may be getting enough for him to sleep for longer at night... I'd say, do what makes you comfortable. If you want to have the sleep while you can, do it. If you don't think your baby is ready to sleep through, wake him. It's your call.

Hi there

During the day Id wake if its been 4 hrs but at night let it go. Make the most of it as it could change at any time.

Quote Originally Posted by Missy
    Make the most of it as it could change at any time.
    Oh I totally agree with that one!

Fee Guest

I was told by the midwives in the hospital to wake Cooper for a feed every 4 hours - but only during the day (I rarely had to do this though). At night just let him sleep as long as he wants!

i have never woken dd for a feed, day or night, and she's a great sleeper!! 13 hours over night slept now,

Thanks for that! I'm having to be on antibiotics atm so I think that's giving him a bit of discomfort (bellyache) so sleeping for longer doesn't seem to be an issue!! Looking forward to finishing the course at the end of the week... for both our sakes.

Yeh i agree with the others.. feed every 4 hours if you can..