Thread: Should I be worried?

Question Should I be worried?

I'm concerned that I'm not worried if that makes sense.

I weighed DS2 (8 1/2 mths) today and he's now below the 25th centile, last time I weighed him (3 mths ago) he was just below 50th centile. I think he's fine, he feeds on demand still and loves playing with food, lots of wet nappies etc, but a small part of me thinks maybe I'm wrong to be unconcerned.

Thanks.

Umm..

I wouldn't be.. They are just numbers.. I honestly wouldn't know what percentile my children are in. I only ever weighed DD at immunisation time. But she was happy, energetic, feeding on demand, eating solids, just was a small baby,and now a small child..

Nope wouldn't worry at all

Both my girls are tiny and healthy

Annabelle has been the same weight pretty much for a yr! Lucy is teeny tiny

Both eat, both smart, both healthy

Is he going through a growth spurt atm? Maybe he is just growing up instead of growing out (putting on weight). Has he recently started crawling or moving around a lot more? If he is still getting heavier and is his normal happy self, I wouldn't be too worried just yet, if he stopped getting heavier, or started losing weight then I think it would be more of a concern. The charts are really just a rough guide anyway, and I think they might be based on FF babies, not BF babies, which makes a difference as well.

If you are worried about it though, by all means I would have a chat to your GP/MCHN

Growth charts are often misunderstood. They are a guide, which places your bubs on a scale, in comparison to the average of all babies. So all it means is that if your bub is on the 25th, that there is 75% of babies bigger and 25% smaller. Dropping percentiles is okay, it just means that your bub is making his own growth line. Gauge it over months, as long as they have upward curve not a downward then it is okay.

Default Should I be worried?

Dd1 was never on the charts for the first 6 months!! She is now a happy 3 yo. As long as he is still growing, putting on weight and is happy don't worry about it.