Thread: Should i be worried

Default Should i be worried

I got Alexander weighed today and the nurse said that i should watch what he eats and give more healthy foods. Also i should keep him active all day. Which i am not sure how as he is already on the go from 6am till 6pm with just a 2 or 3hr sleep during the day.

He weighs 13kilos and is 81cm long. On the chart he is above the top line for his age.

I'm trying to find the number for our local CYH and book in to talk to them about it as this was only a nurse doing it at the local chemist.

Should i really be worried about this ?

What does he eat through the day? If he is eating healthy portions of nutritios food & being active, I don't see that there is anything more you can do? All babies are different. I'm sorry she has you worried. I'm sure it's not an issue.

Breakfast he will have cereal or toast. Normally just two weetbix.
    Mid morning his milk when he has his sleep.
    Lunch time a sandwich. Could be cheese, ham, tuna, jam sometimes. Fruit
    Afternoon he may have a biscuit or fruit just to keep him going till tea time
    Tea what ever we have and sometimes a yoghurt ir jelly & fruit for pudding but not everyday.

We have maccas once every couple of weeks and i do oven chips for us once a week.
    He won't eat many vegtables but is good with most other food.

Not sure what i can stop giving him as he doesn't eat that much bad stuff in a week. If i was feeding him take away and fried food all the time i would understand but we don't even eat like that.

Michelle, that sounds fine to me! The only suggestion I can think of is hiding extra veges in dinner, but really I don't think you should even be worried, he's just a big boy

I must admit he's always been big for his age but never off the charts.
    Also he's only been walking 2 weeks.

Thanks Linda and Jillian you both have made me feel a lot better.

Hi Michelle, I bet walking will make a big difference to his energy output. All the bigger babies I know really "slimmed" down (what a horrible expression) once they started walking. xx

I have found I can get my boys to eat anything that is in mashed potato.

From the length & weights for his age & the fact he has only just started to walk, I wouldn't be worried at all. My 2nd was about 10ks by 8 months & now at 21 months he is only about 13 kgs but still looks big.

Dont worry honey, this nurse obviously wasnt very good. She should have asked you questions about his diet and activity, not just assume that he was held and fed junk food. It makes me so mad to hear that she was like this as he seems peferctly fine from what you have said. Just imagine the one mother or more out there that she has had the same conversation with and this mother unknowingly put her child on some sort of diet. Augh.

Well back to the issue, from what you have said Alexander sounds just fine and it sounds like you are doing the right thing anyway.

Love

Helen you saying about the diet thing i did joke about it and said to Alex looks like you need to go on a diet and she didn't even say a thing to me. Most nurses would have said no you don't need to do that.

Jillian i was thinking of getting some of those V8 juices to try on him. I know Kimberley didn't mind the one with fruit in it so maybe Alex would drink it also.

I'm sure he will burn off more now he is walking. He's not even a big eater so it's not like he is stuck in his high chair or walking around eating all day. Most of his food goes over his shoulder on to the floor unless it's something i spoon feed him. Maybe being off formula now will help also.

Michelle, I wouldn't let it stress you. Obviously this "nurse" isn't worth much. I think Alex is doing fine. You know that you aren't feeding him crap. And the fact that he has only just started walking will make a huge difference. I bet within the next 2 months or so you will notice a difference. Not that there needs to be one of course. My boys were pretty much the same size at the same age too. Tehya on the other hand is only 9.5kgs at 15 months. And their diets have been pretty much the same.

Thought i woudl update this. I got Alex weighed today and he's lost weight and would you believe the nurse doing it thought it could be because she is using new scales.

Alex now weighs 12.260kilos and is 82cm long.
    I think he's lost weight because since then he has started to walk and he's on the go all day and also he's not on formula any more. So he's gone from being over the top line to being under it now

There's no pleasing that nurse Michelle. I think she sounds nasty and batty.

Love

Sounds like he is eating OK to me! I heard just yesterday the charts that we use are from the UK and haven't been updated since the 1950's so I wouldn't worry too much. He eats fruit and meat/veg (I hear you about not liking vegies!) and is happy and healthy I wouldn't be too worried. Also I found Miss M thinned out at about the 20 month mark. She was always tall but very solid. She ate alot but no junk so I wasn't worried about her.

I get all sorts of comments about my two. Kat was a chunky bub, even walking she was above adverage weight (she started cruising at 8.5months and walking by 10). Now at almost 2y.o she doesn't eat so very much and is playing ALL DAY except nap time. She still has some weight on her, but not much and looks healthy rather than chubby. Now Jess has the chubbiest cheeks you ever saw and is the same stocky build as Kat was. But since she's started to cruise, she's burning up more energy (and demanding more food too, but that's another story) and has slimmed down in the tummy. Her legs are still chunky, but nothing to worry about as once she's off and running, it doesn't take too long for them to slim down. Those cheeks tho! Woooha!
    What I am trying to say is kids are all different. They grow at different rates and I wouldn't worry too much about that stupid nurse. Once he's running around and you'll find food is the last thing on his mind most of the time then, he'll burn off most bub fat/weight. The truth is young babies need a little bit of weight on them as they lose it so quickly when they get sick! My sisters kids are both skinny little ones and as soon as they are sick, they drop kgs! Their bones stick out and it looks like she never feeds them! Yet they are healthy active kids who just aren't naturally hungry or bigger kids. She gets looks as her daughter looks like a waife when she's sick, with gaunt cheeks and messy hair.... I think there are always going to be people who think they know what is better for a kid than the mother does. I say as long as the child is eating healthily and active that is all that matters!

I have the opposite prob - with my dd weighing only half of what ur son does and they're almost the same age. But i know she eats heaps of healthy food and does not looks skinny or anything so i just have to accept that she's petite..under 70cms with a small frame. Each child is different so sometimes we just have to accept that if they're not where they're supposed to be on the charts - that's ok..as long as they're happy and healthy. U sound like ur doing all the right things

Melody Guest

I find it all a bit odd Michelle. Hunter is exactly the same measurements, younger & my ECC nurse & doctor says he is the most strapping, healthy boy they have ever seen!

I say time to rely on your own instict.... you know what is right & wrong. Your not an expert on children (the way the nurse may see her proffesion) but you ARE the expert on Alex..... sounds to me like your doing fine