Thread: Should she be Laughing and talking more?

Default Should she be Laughing and talking more?

Hi guys,

I just read on a US based site, that babies at 12 weeks should definately be laughing loudly. I am a bit concerned, as Kiara is not laughing at all, she has just started babbling more and smiles a bit more, but not a great deal..

Should I be focusing on his when we play, should we be playing more? I try to play with her for about 1/2 an hour after each feed (sometimes it's the whole hour or so she is awake) and I try to leave her to play on her own a bit too, in her swing or bouncer, or just on the floor...

Can you please give me advice here, as I am concerned I am doing something wrong and she is going to be delayed even more???

I think anyone who says babies should 'definately be doing xyz by x time' shouldn't be taken too seriously....unless they're talking about eating, sleeping and pooing!
    If she's babbling then I'd say that's a form of baby happiness....does she open her mouth like she's trying to laugh but no laugh comes out? Caty has been doing that lately and I reakon it's a try-laugh?
    Sounds like you're an awesome mum, spending lots of time with Kiara etc. so I don't think you're doing anything to cause concern

Thanks for the encouragement, I know that they are all diferent... I just get worried, being a first time mum and all!

She does do that, she smiles with her mouth wide open like she is trying to laugh... I never thought of it that way!

Mel don't stress over it hun. Babies do all develop differently (as we get told so often )

Emerson was such a quiet bub - he hardly made any noise and would just sit there and stare. Other bubs were talking and laughing and he would just watch them LOL. He slowly started to get more and more vocal and now laughs and blabs away all the time. He even started saying Mum and Dad the other day I never expected that considering how 'non-chatty' he was in the beginning!

Anne Guest

I agree, I wouldnt be worried either unless it was something like eating etc...
    When my boy was one he wasnt a huge one for laughing, he giggled or chuckled quietly, but didnt laugh outloud really. But he is 3.5 now and boy can he laugh loud now

Nina does the same thing, opens her mouth but doesn't laugh all that much. She does laugh on occasion. I just figure she's a placid baby.
    I wouldn't be concerned at all. You're doing a great job.

We've never had fits of giggles with Tallon - and we need to be reeeaaallly funny to get a laugh out of him. But he's a very happy baby, and I've never been worried that he doesn't laugh much. Just his personality I think

Jesse hasnt laughed yet at all either. He can talk his head off and gives us lovely big smiles but never had a laugh. He does open his mouth really wide with a smile as if he should be laughing then but no sound comes out (just read your post that Kiara does that too! ) . I just put it down to that every baby is different and will reach each milestone when they are ready.. some will come faster than others. As long as he still gives us that cheeky grin then it doesnt bother me

Thanks guys... I feel much better now...

I guess she will do it as soon as she is ready!

Another thing to think of is to improve the jokes you've been telling Kiara - maybe she has a VERY high standard......hehehehe.

LOL... Very High!!! MUst take her to see a proper comedian then huh!