Thread: SIDS

Default SIDS

My MCHN told me that after 4 months old the stats on SIDS reduce considerably. When can you breathe easier on the SIDS issue? Without having the contributing factors that are guidelined.
    Thanks
    "worry wart"

From the SIDs & Kids website -

The sudden and unexpected death of an infant under 1 year of age, with onset of the lethal episode apparently occurring during sleep, that remains unexplained after a thorough investigation including performance of a complete autopsy, and review of the circumstances of death and the clinical history.
    So to me that's saying up until 1 year old

Bec, I have also read that @ 4 months the risk reduces: my old MCHN in Darwin told me that too.

That said, I don't think you can ever rest easy until they are at least a yearold.......

(Olivia is 20 months old and I still get nervous when she has a sleep in! And I still check on her through the night! And I lay awake most nights listening for Charlies breathing!) So I am just as much a worry wart!

I heard up to 6 months they are still at a higher risk, but it drops after that. And its good to know about the 1 year thing. I had 2 years in my mind.

I think I also heard the 4 month figure - as that is the average time when they are able to start rolling themselves over, so I assume they would have more of an ability to roll themselves out of trouble iykwim?

I started becoming less worried after about 9 months though, when I knew Aidyn was old enough to get himself out from under a blanket...

Though saying that, even now I worry, and he is 18 months. As recently he has his favourite little blankie which he liked to bring into the cot, but one night I found him with the whole thing wrapped around his head.... never again will I let him have it in there now... 8-[

jaggard Guest

I've been told or read (can't remember) that 2 to 4 months of age is the highest risk, after 6 months it reduces dramatically.
    I still check my children constantly as one of mums friends lost a baby to SIDS and the lady was 6 mths pg with her 2nd which meant the first baby must have been older than 4 months. How horrible for her.

I still worry when Maddy has slept in & she's almost 7!
    Mum's always worry!!!

Hi - I heard that it was a year and that winter had something to do with that - probably the overwrapping/heating thing as mentioned back there.

Barb.

We had a friend lose their 18 month old to SIDS while I was PG and it was devestating as we all thought you would relax after a year. DH & I are still worried, I think we will start to relax after Matilda's 2 or in the big girl bed whichever happens first LOL

Gosh that is so sad Christy... I cant even imagine how hard it would be to go through that... My heart really goes out to your friends....

I need to go and check on Aidyn now...

Yeah I am a worrier too, I thought 1 was the biggest milestone, bt I agree that up to 2 I was still checking! I still hav the baby monitor going in jess's room so I can hear her!

Cheers michelle

Amy has decided that she now sleeps on her tummy and we have found her this way the last two mornings. She is now rolling back to tummy but hasn't worked out tummy to back yet and I am a little worried about her in her cot on her tummy.

Gemma, Matilda has always slept on her tummy. We went to sleep school and that was one of our goals was to get her to sleep on her back, but she started rolling then (10 weeks) and the nurses said there wasn't anything we could do but place her on her back & if she rolled not to worry about it. As long as they can roll back...

Thanks Christy, she can't roll back yet but I'm sure it will happen soon. Just posted a topic about this too.

It's hard Jodie cos you can't really stop them from rolling, as long as there is nothing they can get their faces caught in there's not much more you can do. I know people try those things they prop either side to stop them rolling, but most times they roll anyway.

Cheers michelle