Thread: is this a SIDS risk?

Default is this a SIDS risk?

Up until recently I was b/f Emma to sleep after wrapping her, then laying her in her cot on her back. We made some changes so that she is now going into her cot awake & settling in there. I still wrap her first. I noticed though that she would cry until she managed to roll onto her front, then fall asleep in no time at all. So after a few nights of this I figured I would just make it easier for her & lay her on her front right from the start. This has worked brilliantly - she falls asleep within minutes of being laid in the cot. My only worry is that it could be a SIDS risk. At what age is it safe for them to lay on their front? She is now 10 1/2 months old. I feel that because she is wrapped (fairly firmly) that she may have trouble rolling back onto her back if she needed to (she has never tried so I don't know if she would be able to or not, I imagine she could). Should I start wrapping her more loosely? I don't really want to as she loves being wrapped. I figure if she is going to roll herself onto her front anyway there isn't much I can do, I just feel a little worried about it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! I am thrilled with how she is sleeping, but just want to make sure that sleeping on her front while wrapped isn't dangerous.

Linda, I know you dont want to, but maybe just dont wrap her so shes able to freely move if she needs to. I would imagine rolling would be very hard while wrapped, but obviously shes doing it to get on her tummy. It might just make it easier for her.

BTW, love the ticker pic, she is beautiful!!

Can you gently roll her nto her back when she's asleep or does she just flop right back over?

Thanks girls.

I know that not being wrapped would be awful for her. As for rolling her back onto her front, I haven't tried but I'm pretty sure she would wake. That might be something we could try though. I also thought maybe we could leave one arm unwrapped. WDYT?

Yes, or just wrap her a little looser. I think as the weather warms up the wrapping thing will just stop anyway. My first daughter couldn't sleep without being all swaddled up, but as soon as the really hot weather hit, it was just too uncomfortable for her.

Its so hard isn't it? My kids all rolled onto their tummies too and it made me nervous. I used those wedge things but that only works when they're really little.

I love that photo of Emma.

I used a wedge thing too, and slept Jenna on her side. In my mind it was safer given the amount of vomit she was bringing up during her sleep - plus it was easier on her I think.
    I would maybe try and wrap her a little looser - and maybe try the one arm out option.
    The other thing to consider would be a sleeping bag? We got ours for jenna about this age, and it was wonderful for her sleep! I guess a part of them still feels wrapped, but they have plenty of mobility.

I think that sids risk drops after 9m, but if you are at all worried, of course err on the side of caution. One arm should be heaps to help her roll over if she wants to.

I know the feeling with sleep though - its the whole thing of "if it aint broken....." What to do, what to do! Good luck

Matilda slept on her belly from 12 weeks old. We were at a sleep school at that time & no one was able to get her to sleep on her back & she decided she would be fully able to roll back & forth at that point. The nurses & paediatrician there said that because she wasn't in any of the other "risk" categories to let her do it. It was the only way she would sleep until she was 14 months old. Everytime we rolled her onto her back or side she would wake up.

I was nervous for around 2 months and stressed about it heaps, but in the end I gave up trying to put her into a different position and just let her sleep that way. We used a sleeping bag for her at that age as well but made no difference in her rolling abilities either.

Goodluck Linda!

Quote Originally Posted by Fi
    I know the feeling with sleep though - its the whole thing of "if it aint broken....." What to do, what to do! Good luck
    That's exactly right Fi!! She is sleeping beautifully in this position, so I am really reluctant to change anything...

Thanks Christy - that's interesting! You know I can say almost positively that if we change anything she won;t like it at all (I am noticing quite a few similarities between our girls ) So do you think I should leave her be? I know that is hard for anyone else to answer. I guess part of me knows that if she really needed to she could roll over.

Oh, I don't know!! This is hard!!

At 10.5 months I would be inclined to say that she should be fine to sleep on her belly. I know Aidyn was doing it by that age, and there wasnt much we could do about it! Perhaps keeping her arms free when she is wrapped, or introducing her to a grobag like sleeping bag will give you more peace of mind that she will be able to move freely if she gets stuck? She is getting to the age though where she'll be pretty good at wriggling her way around, so I wouldnt be too worried! I have heard that the greatest danger for SIDS risk is before 6 months.

DH was always put to sleep on his belly and he still does prefer to sleep this way. He's still not dead and doesn't look like he's going to die from belly-sleeping. However, that's just my DH! I think the suggestion of leaving her arms unwrapped sounds like a very good one - I'm storing up all these tips for when this comes round for me!

Linda Indah has only slept on her tummy from about 14 wks, she literally screamed & screamed until she was on her tummy, so now I just pop her in her cot & she instantly rolls onto her tummy... I dont worry at all now, she stands in her cot & stuff so I am certain she can get out of tricky situations... But she sleeps in an all in one bag or other PJ's like that!!!
    I'm sure if she can get onto her tummy she can get back!!!

Thanks everyone. I have done the same as usual. Wrapped up & on her tummy. She is sound asleep. Thanks for all your advice. It's great to know other bubbas are the same.

Hope this info is some help to someone; I saw on one of the morning shows about SIDS prevention. ONE of the main areas of concern was the baby being overheated, and this is why they dont recommend lots of soft toys in cots etc. I had no idea it could happen with overheating. I know this doesnt answer your question, but i Just thought i would mention it, as it may be helpful to someone, as i myself had no idea about the heat thing!!.

Linda, Just thought I would let you know the minute we tranisitioned Charlie from hammock to cot he became a tummy sleeper.....it freaked me out a bit too, but I stopped wrapping him and put him in a sleep sack/sleeping bag instead.....so he was still snug and secure, but had a bit more freedom, IYKWIM?

Melinda Guest

I'd suggest a sleeping bag too - we put Jacob in one and he was fine with that.....