Thread: Silly things parents do!

Default Silly things parents do!

Hi,

I thought I would start this thread for people to have a laugh at and also to make you feel like you're not the worst parent in the world.

My girlfriends and I were talking about how we are meant to know exactly what to do when being a parent and there are just some things we don't know.

For example, one of my friends said that when she brought her newborn son home she went to make up formula with milk and the powder. Fortunately, her MIL was there to explain that it needed to be mixed with boiled water.

The last week I have been complaining that Gemma and Teagan have been restless during the night waking from 3-6am. It wasn't until about 4days in I thought I would check their temperature and discovered that they were cold and that's why they were sooking and waking- Since rugging them up more they are sleeping through-who would have thought??? LOL

So if you have had a "blonde" moment feel free to get it out, let us have a giggle with you, not at you, and reassure you that you're not alone!

(I'm blonde so I hope I didn't offend anyone!)

I've got one from my sister. My nephew is now 5 but we still have a good laugh about this. She was told as we all are about following a eat/ play/ sleep routine. Unfortunately for her she thought this meant for the whole 24 hours so here she was up at 3am with my nephew under his little gym thing happily playing away!

DH and I were convinved that the whole singlet thing was just a big con. Babies don't need singlets, we reasoned, our son is tough, mothers are just panic merchants, it doesn't get THAT cold in Australia.

So when DH was born in June and we brought him home from hospital he wore a white Bonds gro-suit. That's it, no hat, nothing else. We put him in to his cot and after about 5 mins DH checked him and realsied he was freezing cold! We stripped him off, got him naked in bed with me (for body warmth) and I quickly gave him a booby feed.

His colour returned. He wore singlets from then on!

Just the other day, I was in a rush to go pick up the older children from school... I had Harrison in my arms, and I went to hop into the drivers side with him in my arms... I realised what I was about to do and I had a laugh... I am so very used to just jumping into the car and taking off... now, there is a newborn who needs to be put into a carseat too!!!

When I first brought Matilda home I found I kept forgetting to change her nappy - I was so used to having a toddler who I only changed 2 or 3 times a day that I just completely forgot that little babies need to be changed more often. I remember her first full day at home I couldn't figure out why she was grizzly and then I realised she had a huge wet nappy! OMG I felt guilty, but I am now a regular nappy changer LOL.

About a month ago I forgot to add the water to the microwave sterliser.... and melted everything! Oops

My SIL went to docs for newborns first immunisation shot. Doc said she may give him panadol if she feels its necessary. She then asked if she just crushes the tablets up and puts it in the bottle??? Ive never forgotton that one.

hehe mbear!

great thread briohny
    ok i got one, i wasnt yet a parent so thats my excuse and Im sticking to it!

My sister was coming to visit us interstate with her daughter who was about 15months old. she asked me to get some things for her from the shops, one of them being Cows milk. So i off i trott to the shops get to the milk section looking everywhere for a milk titled COWS MILK! when i couldn't find it i end up buying "butter milk" hehe it wasnt until my sister tasted the butter milk and realised what i had done that she explained cows milk is just full cream milk LOL

This is a fantastic thread!! LOVE it heheh

One night we were off to a family party... i packed 2 bottles but while we were waiting for MIL to show up (we were taking her) Abby got cranky and hungry so i fed her one of the bottles.... Party was great, abby started to get hungry and cranky again so i pulled out the bottle, only to realise it had a cap and no freakin teat on it! I figured when i packed it that id use the one from the other bottle- the one i fed to her before we left. There wasnt a shop open in the town to get a bottle to feed her with so DF's aunt went and got a big box of bottles and teats off her neighbour who had a young child.

I felt sooooooooo stupid. I just wanted to scream the F word, but grandma and grandpa were there so i had to settle for "BUGGER"

Ive also taken her to the dr not long ago because she was 'yellow' only to be told its just her complexion (sp?)... well im sooo pale i thought she should be the same.

Ive sat up with her after she woke one night screaming and crying, nothing worked and after 2.5 hrs of it i worked out she was hungry!

Im sure there are heaps more!

It would be funny if we could get the dads posting in here!! I know they do a great job, but they also do some very funny things.

I remember my BIL once put a newborn nappy on his 9 month old son! I have no idea how he got it on, he said he thought it seemed a bit small LOL!

I did the same thing as lisa and jump into the car (driver's seat) with izzy in my arms...

And yesterday i went into big W to buy snugglers nappies... and went in there and ended up with a pink box of huggies~ which i didn't want lolz, i wanted the snugglers... just had blonde moment.

I've had a few moments where i've made the bath to hot or to cold for izzy and she didnt like it one bit! (i got her out straight away)... But have now bought a temp gaige so its always just noice for her... (although she still dosnt like the bath lolz)

and added to that! the most blonde thing is say hello izzy "cassie" loves u... instead of saying mum! it took a little getting use tooz!

My friend took her son to the docs cause she was sure he had hepatitis or a liver disease cause he was yellow- she had just been feeding him too many carrots LOL
    Another firend left her newborn in a capsule in the credit union and was about to drive off when she remembered her.
    I have gone out without any nappy bag a few times cause I was just out of the habit of taking one.

Cath78 Guest

when chloe was about 8 - 9 months old she was still really slow drinking her bottles and was getting slower. I was still using the teats she has as a newborn! when i got faster flowing teats things sure changed! I felt so stupid for not thinking about them sooner!