Thread: Sleep issues for a 6 month old.

Default Sleep issues for a 6 month old.

Ned is driving me absolutely batty atm.

He usually goes down at about 8pm, after solids and bottle. He will only drink about 100mls before bed.

The last few weeks, he's been waking an awful lot. Usually he'll wake for about 150mls at 10-10:30pm, then up again at 12, then at 2-3am for a bottle, then again at 4am, then again at 6am... you see the pattern.

It does seem to be a little wind occasionally, but not always. I think he might need to learn to self-settle so that he can go back to sleep himself.

He does use a dummy occasionally (like at 4am when I don't want to pick him up and comfort him AGAIN) but cracks it when he spits it out, because he hasn't worked out that he can find it again. He also crawls all around the cot and pulls himself up on the side to throw the dummy out...

Does anyone have any suggestions to keep me on the right side of sanity?

oh divvy i know exactly what you are going through,chantelle is doing the same thing,waking every 2 hours,it is driving me crazy.
    1 suggestion have you thought about getting one of those little things that attaches the dummy to the babies clothes,he may not know how to find his dummy just yet but he will soon work out that it is not far from him at all and you will always know where to find it too.
    i have booked in to sleep school at the end of the month for a day stay,mainly to get some ideas and feel motivated and strong and informed of what i can do to help her and me get some sleep.they told me they dont do cc at this age so will be intersted to see what they have to offer.
    i hope he soughts himself out for you soon,it is damn hard isnt it
    nikki

Hands up here too...same thing..pick the sleep deprived Mummys. What is with our bubbas :-k

Jo

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

5-6 months seems to be a very unsettled time for most babies. They are making huge developmental leaps at around this time which is usually the reason for the fussing, more crying, less sleeping... try and grab a copy of 'the Wonder Weeks' which tells you when these fussy stages happen, why and what you can do to help get through that stage.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

here here Kell! I've got the book & it helps so much just to know there is a reason behind the fussiness! It's helped me be much more patient!

Eleshia_V Guest

Well i have been having the same problem with my 10mth old...it's been happening for about a month now. Previously to that she was going to bed around 6 or 7pm and not waking for about 10-12hrs! Man, were we spoiled!! lol...now she's waking several times a night, often needing a bottle before she'll settle. Making sure she was warm, and having spare dummies stashed in her room so that we could quickly grab one has definitely helped, but it doesn't always stop the waking periods.

I'd be interested to know what's going on as well. Is it just a growth period for them? We've tried everything we can think of to bring back the old patterns :?

Eleshia

Yep, like I said, get the book, it's brilliant! It's written by a pair of paeds so the info is credible. Print off the chart which has the 7 or 8(?) developmental stages in their first 18 months of life. When things get tough, reference the chart and you will be amazed how spot on it is and how much better it makes you feel knowing it's a developmental milestone and the end will be in sight
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Eleshia_V Guest

So where can i find this book? At Angus & Robertson? And who are the authors?

Thanks

Elishia - you might be able to get one on ebay if you have a look there. It can be a little bit hard to get a hold of I think. Good luck - it's worth getting!

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your input.

Linda, I LOVE the new photo!

Thanks Divvy!

I agree gorgeous pic Linda!!!!!

Hi Divvy!

I've got no advice except that Louis is exactly the same at the moment. Although I usually only have to feed him once overnight he is constantly waking up every hour or 2

I hope it doesn't last much longer or I'm going to lose my mind!!!!

Kelly xx

I remember my baby clinic nurse telling me that babies have these growth spurts at around 3 weeks, 6 weeks, 3 months and 6 months of age when they get really hungry and often wake for night feeds. All of my kids did this, but it does pass

Kirsty77 Guest

Well you know that I've been having sleep problems with Gemma to Div, but I just found out tonight after a rush to the doctor that Gem has tonsilitis, an ear infection and throat infection which now explains the waking up constantly. We honestly thought it was teething and a bit of a cold as shes perfectly happy through the day, just a bit clingy. Just keep an eye on him is my advice!