Thread: Sleep pattern

Default Sleep pattern

How can i get Eleanor to change her sleep pattern.

Eleanor seems to be awake at night for anything up to 3 hours. I've tried holding her back to sleep after her night feed she does fall asleep but as soon as she goes in the cot she wakes screaming this goes on the whole time until she is just so tired she gives up.
    I've patted her back in the cot and rubbed her face.

Yesterday she went to sleep at 4pm in her new swing i was able to get her out put the sleeping bag on her and she started asleep till 10pm and then that was it will 1.30am she was awake. Then she woke for another feed at 4.30am then back up at 7am.

I would love her to have the long sleep later at night so i am only up once.

I had a similar problem with Toby - when he was about your DD's age he started having a big long stretch of sleep from about 6.30 until 1am. Obviously I'm not going to bed at 6.30 so I tried everything I could think of to get him to move it back a bit.....I even tried dreamfeeding him at about 11pm but he still woke up at 1 again anyway, and then every three hours after that.
    Nothing worked for him unfortunately, he just had to do it on his own...which he did eventually. Around 4 months he started going through until 3am, and then just recently he's dropped that feed and started going right through until 6am at 5 months old.
    Her sleeping pattern is very normal for her age, I'd probably wait it out a little longer and see what happens, it will probably sort itself out. NOt much help I know but just seems to be the way it happens with newborns!

If she is falling asleep as early as 4pm maybe thats why shes not sleeping so well overnight. Maybe wake her in the evenings so she deosn't have her big sleep at 4-10 but try and gradually push it back later.

angelique Guest

Hi Michelle,

It is so hard to get the little ones into a pattern. Hang in there, your hard work will eventually pay off!!

Michelle, Tom also was doing that at that age. Now he is 5 months and still goes down early, usually around 5pm, but now if I dreamfeed him before I go to bed he does sleep through the night. Going down early can be an advantage - you get to eat dinner for one thing - but I hear you on the lack of sleep. I felt the same way at the time, but it has all worked out now. Fingers crossed for you that it settles soon.

I have managed to keep Eleanor awake since her feed at 4pm. She did close her eyes for a little bit but i put her in the bath to wake her up a little.
    Also today she only had one long sleep and only little naps the other times.

Thanks for all your advice.
    I'd forgotten how hard it is to be awake for a while at night.
    What made it worse last night is all i could hear is DH snorning in the bed.

rails Guest

Hey Michelle .... it depends on wether you mind waking her or not ... but you could try giving extra feeds during the day, you will have to wake Eleanor if she is asleep to feed her - with this way she is well fed & should fingers crossed sleep for a good stretch in the night .... last feed around 11pm ... average feed during the day 5-6 , some babies like more though & will wake more times in the night still - hard cause they are all different. But this worked well for me.... we started our day around 6.30-7.30am & at that age Jesse was only waking once at about 3.30am & eventually he stopped waking & i would have to wake him in the morning after i had expressed - cause my boobs were gonna burst LOL ! ... hope this helps a bit .... good luck

Hi Michelle, hope tonight is better for you.
    Natalie used to do exactly the same thing - have a big long sleep in the day and want to rage on for hours in the middle of the night, LOL. (funny now, but it *really* wasn't at the time). So day and night were mixed up for her.
    I decided to wake her in the day for feeds and let her sleep for as long as she would at night. I know it's really hard to wake a baby, and it's your choice - you have to be comfortable. We had a couple of days where she was difficult to feed because I had woken her, but it only took a couple of days and her pattern had changed. Good luck, and sleeeeeepy vibes to Eleanor!

Last night was a good night Eleanor went to bed at 8pm and didn't wake until 4.30am then went back to sleep until 7.30am.
    Today she has only had small naps so hopefully i will be in for another good night.

8pm til 4:30?!? How wonderful! (I'm a bit jealous!) Hope tonight is good too, Michelle.