Thread: sleep school

maggie Guest

Default sleep school

Hi

I have rung a few sleep schools today in melb, waiting for calls back. can anyone let me know what sleep clinics they went to in melb, and how they went

DS just wont sleep during the day, he gets so overtired, and mostly have to rock him to sleep 9/10 times.. we are so tired of doign this.. night sleeps he is an angel, settles himself and only wakes once during the night.. but day sleeps i just cant settle him, i place him to bed the minute we see the tired signs but it doesnt work. if i pat him, he just screams... not sure what to do other then us to go to a sleep school to see what they suggest.. he is in a sleeping bag and not being wrapped.. but if his bag is in the wash he is wrapped and it makes no difference

There are several tweedle schools, but the one that comes highly recommended is the baby controlling centre inside the sunshine hospital. It is a free service and you can get in pretty quickly as not a lot of people know about it

maggie i'm not sure about there being any 'sleep schools' that are into "comforted sleeping and no cry solutions" or that are particularily baby friendly. did you want other suggestions?
    beckles

maggie Guest

any suggestions would be appreciated.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

I went to the one at Mitcham Private with Marisa. It's a 3 night program, we were there two weeks, wasn't working. It may be more helpful for you, but also be prepared though that it's not the magical answer for all babies and it may not be long term. Don't feel that you 'failed' if it doesn't work. Controlled crying works for around 8% of mums in the short term going by a survey of a bit over 50% of mothers who tried it.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

Wow - baby controlling centre? Hope it's not as bad as it sounds! hehehe.

Maggie - I actually learned not to try and put Tallon to sleep on the first tired sign. I actually have to let him get quite tired, otherwise we spend a tiring hr or more trying to get him to sleep. It's a fine line tho between tired enuf to sleep and overtired! Think I'm getting the hang of it tho

Other than that, I have no other suggestions sorry. And we haven't been to any sleep school, so can't help there. All I know is Tallon's sleeping changes all the time, so I generally just go with it.

Maggie, although DD is a great sleeper (most of the time) there are times when she takes longer to settle, she has always been great at self settling and now that she had discovered her hands and that she can put them in her mouth, she loves to self settle sucking on her hands or simply having her hands near her face. have you tried wrapping one hand up near his mouth? i have found this works a treat!! good luck

maggie, my suggestions would be to try a day of not thinking or worrying about him sleeping. have you tried a sling? maybe just put him in the sling and do what you normally do for the day without looking at the clock or concerning yourself about his lack of sleep. it sounds like he is getting lots of sleep at night and may not need as much or likes to be with you during the day. maybe you could do this for a few days? i think the more anxious and worried we are about what our baby's do or don't do the more unsettled they become. my middle son fed 2hourly 24 hours a day for nearly 3 years, we co-slept and i had him in the sling during the day and i found that the quicker i accepted this was just him the better it became and the easier i found it to deal with. my other 2 children were/are nothing like this and i parent them the same so personality does come into it. i know it is hard and maybe sleep school may help you although kelly's stats don't look good ultimately it is your decision and you know your baby best. good luck babe and hope things improve soon, they are little for such a short time in hindsight
    beckles

maggie Guest

Hi guyls, i would be happy if he didnt sleep much during the day if he ws happy, but he is so miserable, and spends half the day screaming.. I got a call last night from sth eastern hosp, and they are bookin gus in for residential stay for help,, i wil post to see if anyone been there.. thanks

Just moving to General Baby & Toddler Discussion.