Thread: sleeping for a 1 month old

haute kara Guest

Default sleeping for a 1 month old

my 5 week old baby wont sleep, well not by herself anyway lol, i can put her to sleep but when it comes time to put her down she wakes back up, so i have to hold her for ages before i even try to put her down, but then she will wake back up in about 1/2 hour. i do wrap her when she sleeps and it does help a little but it doesnt seem to be good enough, when im holding her she will only fall asleep if shes held upright and holding her tight, if i try to lay her back or hold her a little looser she wakes back up

does anyone have some ideas for me to try??

Do you wrap her? I sounds like she likes being cuddled and held tightly, perhaps you can wrap her tightly so she feels safe & warm before putting her down?

haute kara Guest

yeah i do wrap her tightly, but it just doesnt seem to be good enough lol, and she wriggles loose from it after a while too

Yep, my DS was exactly the same! Eventually i stopped stressing about what he 'should' be doing. He had practically all his day sleeps in the sling or on my lap. I kept getting told i was going to 'spoil' him or 'make a rod for my back' but like magic at 3 months, I put him in his cot for a day sleep and after that he would ONLY sleep in his cot! That lasted until about 7 months, and since then he wants to sleep in bed with me at nights! I did always wrap Evan when putting him down, and the older he got, the tighter the wraps got - even though it seems really tight, he really liked it. Now he sleeps in grobags which i have found to be fantastic (not for newborns though).

haute kara Guest

LG... what did you with him at night time?
    i dont like her sleeping in our bed, but at the moment its the only way any of us gets some sleep

I used to get Evan to sleep at night by laying down on our bed with him (wrapped) until he drifted off and then i would transfer him to his crib. He was better with his night time sleeps after about 6-8 weeks. But before that, i dreded the evenings as it was always so stressful. I think knowing that it won't last forever (or even very long in the scheme of things) helped, but i know at the time it's really really hard. I think the best thing you can do right now is devote all your time to holding and cuddling your little koala baby (thats what i called Evan!), because i really believe that helps develop their confidence and security, and will therefore mean this phase will pass soon. I can't keeep Evan on my lap for more than a few mins now as he's so active and confident (over confident sometimes!) - he just wants to cruise around everywhere. He still likes his sleepytime cuddles and so do i! You're doing a great job!

We were EXACTLY the same with Coco. I would have to rock her in my arms every night for 45 minutes (to get her past first part of sleep cycle) then I could put her down and her sleep would vary from about 1-3 hours. I finally had enough (about 8 weeks) and just left her in bed one night and went in every few minutes. Worked well, mind you just this week she's struggling going to sleep and Im finding I have to cuddle her but I will only do that for a few minutes, the 45 mins was too long. Good luck xo

Our little boy was the same, they do grow out of it (eventually). Does she prefer to go to sleep upright? We found out at around 3 months that he had silent reflux, so it was too uncomfortable to lie flat to sleep. You could try tilting the head end of her bed up.
    We would go for a walk in the sling before bed time. It made him nice a relaxed before feeding or rocking off to sleep.
    Good luck!