Thread: Sleeping too much?

Default Sleeping too much?

Over the last couple of days I've been thinking that Kynan's been sleeping much better (sometimes 4hrs+ from feed to feed during the day, longer at night) but now I'm starting to get worried as today's it's affecting his feeding. He has been having 6-7 good feeds per day but I don't think he's going to manage that today.

Last night he had his last feed at 10:30pm. His next one was at 6:45am this morning. By 12 I was starting to get a bit worried so I went in and woke him up (with a bit of difficulty as he was still sleepy). It took him 1/2 an hour to get through 1 boob but he was so sleepy that he didn't want the other one no matter what I did to try and wake him up (nappy change, clothes off, playing, tummy time etc). I've just put him back to bed & I figure if he's not awake before 3pm I'll wake him up again to try and feed him.

I'm starting to get really worried. He doesn't seem sick otherwise though... Any advice/suggestions?

Debbie Lee Guest

Angel - maybe he has just come out the other end of a growth spurt? I know that Gabby had some really sleepy days all of a sudden but would snap out of it soon enough. Even now, if she has a really big sleep and hasn't fed in a while, I wake her up. If she doesn't wake up properly, I take the bottom half of her clothes off and that tends to work.
    If you are super worried, go and see your GP about it. Or, even go and weigh him at the health centre to see if he is putting on weight. If he is, then there is probably not much to be worried about.

If you're worried I think that you should trust your instincts and go and see your Dr. It might be a totally normal phase or the end of a growth spurt as Debbie has suggested, if this is the case it will do you good to have your worries eased.
    I went to see the Dr about a month ago because Yasin wouldn't suck. it turned out that he had a bit of bread stuck to the roof of his mouth so he couldn't get a good latch. I'm not sure if my Dr has ever been called upon to perform a bread removal before but she didn't mind. I think that most GPs are used to anxious first time mums.

I think as long as he is having 6-7 feeds a day, putting on weight and doesn't have his days and nights confused he is doing fine

Although I must say that I NEVER let any of my babies have longer than 4 hours between feeds during the day... but I know a lot of girls on here don't like to wake a sleeping baby.

HTH

Tanya

Thanks girls If he's the same tomorrow I'll take him over to see the GP.

I have had very good sleepers one sleeping through by 3 wks and one by 6 wks. They would have last feed at 10pm sleep till 6am . Feeds were at app 6am, 10am, 2pm, 6pm and 10pm. Sometimes i wuld only get 4 feeds in instead of 5. I tried to wake them if they slept more than 4 hrs but generally left them. I found they got themselves into a pattern and jessica would feed 3hrly during the day and go from 8pm-7am without a feed. If they put on weight then things are prob ok but shee the MCHN or GP if you are concerned.

Cheers michelle