thread: Smelly breast fed baby nappies!

Jan 2011

Smelly breast fed baby nappies!

I am currently working through another bout of mastitis and I have been massaging out quite a bit of yellow-greenish slimy milk/pus. As per recommendations I am bfing dd from that side still. However the last 3 pooey nappies have been RANK! They look like scrambled eggs with chunks of creamy poo and they even smell like slightly rotten eggs! Is this because of the bad milk I am giving her? Could it be anything else? Am I harming her?

Jul 2008
    summer street

that sounds really awful for you

I can't imagine the pus would harm her, it's just white blood cells after all. How does her tummy seem after a feed? Is she unsettled at all?

What is causing the mastitis do you think? Do you have hard lumps and blockages? I have seen a physio for ultrasound when I get bad blockages that won't shift. It's really effective and can deep into the breast tissue.

Hope you get better soon

May 2007
    Warrnambool Vic

If it's come out of your boobs it's fine to go in your baby. It really doesn't matter to much what it looks or smells like. Keep feeding - she'll be fine (PS if you are on antibiotics it could well be that - you know how bad they smell if you break one open?)