Thread: Smelly breath

Default Smelly breath

Today i noticed Alex has a smelly breath i thought it smelt like a bad nappy smell but DH thinks it's a sweet smell.

I noticed two white spots on his tongue i think one has now gone and have started to treat him for oral thrush as he's had that before but i don't think it's that.

Could there be anything else that can cause the smell ?

DH thinks it could be early signs of diabetes (sp?)

Has he had any other symptoms of being unwell?
    Sweet smelling breath is one of the key signs of having blood sugar levels that are too high, so I would definately get him checked out if you have any suspicion that it may be diabetes.
    Last edited by Ambah; December 13th, 2006 at 10:59 PM. Reason: cause I'm too tired!!

Smelly breath can indicate something like a throat or sinus or some kind of infection, and it can also be from teething.

We used to pick it up alot in the day care centre before the kids parents even noticed they weren't well

Take him to the doc to get it checked out, it might be something simple

Hope he's better soon

Yeah actually Dee you have reminded me that I have noticed bad breath with Aidyn when he has had an infection (before going on AB's).

Alex is cutting two molars at the moment and i was thinking it has something to do with that.
    He's not on AB's for oral thrush it's just some stuff you can buy at the chemist i only used it once today.
    He's been feeling warm but it's hot here at the moment. If he still smells funny tomorrow i will book him in to see the Dr. I have been trying to think what he has eaten to make his breath smell but he's not been eating much at all for the last few days.

ignore what I said before about the AB's Michelle! I am just too tired right now, forgetting that AB's cause thrush, not treat it, DUH. This is the 2nd brain slip I've had tonight which means its really time for bed!!

Hi Michelle, this time last year i noticed that Nick's breath started to smell funny, he brushes his teeth twice a day so i knew that wasn't the problem, so i took him to the doctor who said he had tonsilitis and gave him some antibiotics.
    After a week of the antibiotics and the smell was still there but 10x worse it was discusting!, i took him to a different doctor who pulled a 2inch piece of foam out of his nose! i couldn't believe it, little bugger had shoved it up there and didn't tell us, so just have a quick look, maybe he got something stuck up there, just another option

My niece aand nephew both get foul smelling breath if they have tonsilitis starting. It is usually the first sign we pick up on.

Ambah hope you got a good nights sleep i didn't even notice that you put something wrong in your post.

Noami i will check Alex over and see if i can find anything that shouldn't be on him.

Michelle thanks for the tip about tonsilitis i will book him in to see our GP. Last thing i want is him getting sick.

Kirsty77 Guest

I was going to say Tonsillitus as well. Gemma had really bad breath for a while there and it was found to be tonsillitus.

Took Alex to the DR's and he has got a viral infection which caused him to have mouth ulcers. He is now on AB's to help.

Hey Michelle, how's he going with the mouth ulcers?

Ashlea ended up in hospital with a virus that caused mouth ulcers when she was 2, it because so bad she couldnt eat or drink. It turned out pretty nasty. My advice is to make sure he has plenty of fluids, no matter how big a deal it is to get it into him. If he stops drinking, you might even consider using a dropper, like a medicine one to squirt water to the back of his mouth to get fluids into him. I don't know how bad it is, but with Ashlea it got really bad very quickly and she became dehydrated with it. I think it was 4 days she was in hospital because of it

Hope everything gets better quickly and the AB's help.