Thread: So much scariness over a nappy rash!

Default So much scariness over a nappy rash!

Riv's got a nappy rash, it doesn't even look bad (as in, he's had worse looking ones that haven't seemed to bother him), his bum is just a bit pink - but it seems to really sting, he fights through nappy changes even though I try so hard to be gentle and says oh oh oh oh.

But he just woke up then with a baaaaad smelling nappy, so I went to change it and OH MAN he screamed and wailed and yelled Oh oh ow ow, I've never seen him like that - I thought it was because his butt hurt so I took him to the shower, and he was all stiff and wide-eyed and screaming. I put him in the shower and he was still wailing, so I hugged him and sang a song and patted his back for ages, thinking that something really super bad must be wrong, and trying to get him calm, and eventually I distracted him by playing with the plug and singing.

Now he's calmly playing under the shower and drinking some milk, I even tricked him into bending down so his butt gets rinsed off. Bout to get him and pop him back in bed. With a LOT of nappy cream. ;

But man oh man. I've never seen him so hysterical, and I'm guessing it was all because he was scared of getting his butt wiped - it must really sting! I'm so relieved it just seems to be the rash though! I was inventing all sorts of bad things he could be crying about! Is there a 'phew' emoticon?

Anyway. Mummy just needed to debrief so she can sleep.

Nelle - My DD had a really severe nappy rash a few weeks ago (blisters and weeping and all!!) Very red but thankfully wasn't bothering her too badly. I tried sudocrem (which had always taken any redness right out) and also gave Curash a go but no good. I went to the chemist and they gave me a tube of nappy cream called Desitin. It's in a white and blue stripped box and it's brilliant!!! It is 40% zinc oxide so it's like glue but boy does it take out the redness super fast. The other creams were rubbing off so quickly and generally straight onto her nappy but this stuff stays put!! If DS is in pain I'd give this a go. It'll give him a lovely cover over it for it to heal.

Good luck and hope the nappy rash clears up soon for DS.

Thanks Belinda! He's had blistery weepy rashes before, but this ones's not - it's just pinky-red, which is why I'm surprised it hurts so much!

I just put Ungvita on it, and then Gaia Soothing lotion over top (smeared as much Ungvita as he'd let me and then just poured the Gaia over that), so we'll see how that goes (thanks for the Destin tip though!).

I was really touched by how much he trusts me - he's in pain, but a few soothing words and a promise I'd be gentle, and you see his little face deciding and then relaxing his legs for me. I was sooo careful not to scratch him with my nails, was so worried I'd break my promise by scratching and hurting him!
    I'm just so moved that he trusts me. He scored a piece of sympathy choccie too, so all's well that ends well.

What a fright though!

awww nelle i hope his bottom is better today!

When Harrison has had a terrible nappy rash I have given him a pinetarsol bath. I have some from when he and DD had chicken pox... that combined with sudocreme worked wonders.
    I hope your DS's rash goes away soon and causes no more pain.

you can try that breastfeeding cream whats the name ................lanson ??? could the actual act of peeing be hurting him rather than the rash its self ????

DD suffers from nappy rash quite a lot and was understandably a complete nightmare to change. But she loves having cream on so I bribe her with that. I tell her we're going to change her nappy and can she please get the cream. Then I let her put her finger in the tub or squeeze some on to her fingers and she puts it on herself (with a bit of help from me). It means she gets cream on her clothes and on mine but hey, I'd prefer that to fighting with her.

Hope Riv's rash gets better.

mmm the cream after the shower thing can help!! Also when we get those awful painful rashes we chuck a disposable on just once to help get over the initial pain.... I so know the trying to figure out what is going wrong...

Aww the poor little guy. Oskar had one that really gave him grief a little while back, he had some antibiotics but was a bit sensitive to them... oh and his poor little bottom. He would start crying and telling me no as soon as he knew I was going to change his nappy and he would go no cream, no cream. My doc said I could use Dermaid (.5% - so very mild cortosone (sp?)) on it and that worked pretty much overnight. Next day it was still red but it was dry rather than the sore looking red and moist it had been. Mind you it still took a while for him to get over that it wasn't going to hurt to change his nappy.

It seems fine today, he had another bath today and heaps more cream, and it looks almost normal again! It was just such a weird rash, looked like sunburn and is all better now!

sounds like acid-poo burn, ouch!! glad its better

Yeah, Natty sometimes gets poo-burn, mainly after she's eaten too many grapes.
    I find that the sposie wipes really hurt that sort of nappy rash and I need to just use water with a soft wipe - like a muslin nappy.
    Glad he is better though

Yep, sounds like a burnie one, DS always hates it when that happens and sometimes will refuse to sit down in the bath because it stings