Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Son wont eat much for lunch

Default Son wont eat much for lunch

Hi all

My son Callum is almost 1 and im having problems with him eating lunch. He has his breccy and dinner fine and eats it all up but lunch in just not happening. He gets his sandwich and starts to eat it then instead of swollowing it he spits it out. This happens with the whole lot. Then I give him yoghart and he will eat all that. Im just worried he isnt getting enough. What do you ladies think???

My DD is does not really eat sandwiches, so I am wondering can you give Callum something different for lunch. Maggie often prefers to have hummus with carrot, cucumber, capsicum for dipping or a hot meal, such as a veg and rice dish. Even at 18 months Maggie will often chew something for awhile and spit it back out.

As long as they are happy and healthy I wouldn't worry too much.

My DS has gon through eating and non eating stages, the best advice my MIL gave me was that no child has ever starved themselves :-) Is it possible he doesn't like whats on the sandwiches or the bread?

when I took Milo for is 12 month checkup, after the usual hellos etc, the MCHN said "Get ready for it. the fussy eating is about to begin'.

Maybe your DS is starting early. Why not give him something else for lunch. It really doesn't matter if its a "lunch" food as such (well not lollies though he he) if he is hungry, he will eat.

Hi ladies

Thanks for the info. I just know that my nurse tells me he shouldnt have hot meals during the day but I think he is sick of s/wich so might just give him little snakes, cheese, biccies, fruit. etc. NO LOLLIES...lol... I have to say last week I had a day sleep and DH was looking after him and when I got up I asked him if he had all his lunch and he turns to me and said he ate a little s/wich and yog but not much but then went on to say that Callum ate all of a cherry ripe and time out bar. I couldnt believe he game them to him. I went off my head and DH said he loved them. I saidof cause he did but its not good to be giving him all of the bars. I said alittle here and there but all of them. Sheeesh males.....lol

Try not to stress Missy. All bubs seem to do this. Lucie still doesn't usually have a heap to eat for lunch, not that big on sandwiches but sometimes will eat them (it helps if we're walking and she's in the pram for some reason). Other options to try are cruskits/ rice cakes with vegie or something, Lucie sometimes eats a plate of pasta, left overs from the night before or sometimes even just some cheese and crackers.

Yes Callum loves pasta...and also rice... Ill see how he goes today..

Thanks

Good luck with it! K doesn't like sandwiches either. Most of the time these days he only wants fruit for lunch. He loves having a bowl of grapes, sometimes with some banana, strawberries, or whatever we have available.
    Last edited by Angel; January 28th, 2008 at 03:10 PM.

Thanks Angel

Ooh today I gave Louis an open s/w with vegemite and melted cheese and it went in an instant. So it's still a sw as such but it's warm and gooey! Just another option....Good luck!! If he's eating well at brekky and lunch I'm sure he's getting enough!

Jack has only just stopped being a fussy eater. The nurses and paed we saw all said it was fine to give him a hot meal during the day (in fact they recommended it). Our prob was a little different though, Jack would only eat sandwich, vege toast, cheese, weet bix and yoghurt. Usually he'd eat fruit at day care but never at home. The idea in our case was to get him to eat other things. Eventually it has worked. But they all said the same thing, the biggest thing we were doing wrong was giving him too much milk and the food he liked so he wasn't hungry enough to try other foods. They also said that children don't starve themselves, they'll eat if they need it.

Your son will be fine whether he eats lunch or not, but if you prefer to give him something he'll eat I reckon that would be just fine. GL!

Quote Originally Posted by Missy View Post
    I just know that my nurse tells me he shouldnt have hot meals during the day
    I wonder why that is, I have not heard that before. At Maggies child care they serve hot meals for lunch (Mac & Cheese, nachos, chicken and rice etc.)

Astrid

I know its srange but she told me to leave the hot meals for dinner. I just have to keep trying to give him different things.

Mel

Ive already stopped with to much milk. He only has 100 -150 mls now and its just before he goes and has a sleep. He has 3 milks a day so I dont think it could be that. I just think he is getting fussy but its driving me nuts.

DD#1 wouldnt eat bread. We got around it for a while, but not handy when we used to be out and about - what lunch besides sandwiches can you pack? When she started at kindy for 1 day per week last year, i bought some cookie cutters, and made her 'star' sandwiches and 'bear' sandwiches. I started off putting hundreads and thousands on them (naughty i know), but it wasnt the filling i was worried about , i just wanted her to eat bread.
    Needless to say, now the 'star' bread is a hit, and she loves it. Its fun making it too.

I think its about making food fun too, rather than something that has to be forced down - kwim?

What about Mountain bread? I tried some with Maggie today. I just tried with Vegemite and rolled it to a finger width. Maggie seemed to enjoy it. Now I just need to try it with other combos.

ive tried so much...now he wants his bloody monkey to eat with him and i dont let him. It has to come everywhere with up. driving me nuts...lol

My daughter Ella went from eating the hugest meals to simply refusing. I've since discovered that she just loves to graze during the day rather than be sat down for a long period of time to consume an entire meal. She is just so much more active and wants to be playing that she has no time for eating. It began around her crawling/walking stage when she had become more independant. I really tried to fight it but it was no good. I just take a note of all she consumes throughout the day and make sure she has a good variety. You'll be surprised just how much they'll eat

Rae i think callum might be the same. he is so busy and some times i have to let him out of the hair chair to feed him. thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast