Thread: Sore Toe!

Default Sore Toe!

The other day ds was attempting to crawl around the lounge room and when i picked him up his big toe was bleeding where a little bit of his toe nail had come off and torn the skin (must have got caught in the carpet) Tonight it is red and slightly swollen and seem's a little tender to touch, other than when i touch it, it doesn't bother him. I have cleaned it up and popped a sock on to protect it a bit.

But can i put some antiseptic cream on there? Like savlon or something?

If it was ok i was going to pop a bandaid on too but im allergic to most bandaids and dont want to risk putting one on DS and i dont have the ones i can use here.

Should i wait till i get the right bandaids?

I think you should just leave it open so that it can airdry and heal that way. Just keep your eye on it. Usually nicks and cuts get red after a day, just the natural healing proses (think of your own cuts) If it stays red and swolen and it starts to leak some puss, then get to a GP or Pharmasist for some help.

We get this stuff we call mecuro-crim (SP!!!!) its a red liquid that you dab onto scrathes and cuts to help with the drying proses and to make a scab. (I think you get a blue'ish/purple liquid to, ALMOST like the type of stuff they put on animal wounds after surgery) Try that instead of putting on a cream and covering.

Hope it heals real soon

Thanks heaps

The stuff your talking about is called Betadine here and i didnt even think of it I dont have any though, lol. I will have to get some.

Ah ok, the thing I was thinking of was something like iodine. It's always usefull to have in the house and if you need it, it is usually finished!!! My mom used to make a HUGE fuss about our grassburns, just to make us feel "extra special" and would dap us with that stuff till you are red all over!! My dad even sometimes draw faces on our tummies, just to make us look ridiculous!!!

But all in all I really don't think you need to worry. Little cuts has their way of sorting themselves. I could add that if dd gets a scrach I put some Bepanthen (the nipple cream) on it as soon as the scab have formed. I believe it helps the healing and lessen the chances of leaving a scar.

Happy Nursing!!