Thread: Speech Therapy

Default Speech Therapy

I was told by Kimberley's kiny teacher on Tuesday that it would be good for us to get Kimberley to see a speech therapist. She says a few words wrong but i thought she would grow out of it.

Has anyone been to one through the CYH or private ?
    What happens and how long did you have to wait ?
    If you went private did it cost much ?

The teacher said that she might grow out of it and start saying the right words.

Hey Michelle

I'm a Speech Pathologist...

I think, if the kindy teacher is suggesting it, it's probably worthwhile pursuing...Kimberley may grow out of it, but I think it's always better to have it checked out. It's best to get it checked out before she enters formal schooling too, as sometimes speech difficulties can spill over into reading and spelling problems...

The government clinics in Perth are called Child Development Clinics (CDCs)...I'm not sure of the waiting times exactly, but they can be long (e.g. 6 months). Generally you'll need to get a referral from the teacher or GP, though you may be able to self-refer. Probably best to ask the teacher what your local CDC is. They then send the referral in to CDC, who will then contact you letting you know about waiting times, etc. Lots of CDCs do screening days, when they just do a quick check of your child's speech and will then give you some recommendations.

You can go private...the waiting list is much much quicker...but obviously it costs. Fees vary...but an assessment can cost around $100 (probably a little less) and weekly therapy is between $50-$90 (depending upon time)...you can get private health rebates if you have private health insurance...You can self refer to private Speech Pathologists. To find a list of them, do a google search under "private Speech Pathologist Western Australia" and there will be the official private Speech Pathology website...alternatively just pm me and I can give you the actual address.

The other option would be to ring the Speech Pathology department at Curtin University. They have a student clinic (which is supervised by qualified Speech Pathologists). They provide therapy at a very low cost. I'm not sure what their waiting list is like at the moment...

One other thing you may want to check out would be Kimberley's hearing.

Wishing you all the best...feel free to pm if you have any further questions.

Thanks for all that information Monnie.
    The teacher did give me a referral form to fill out which i will give back tomorrow and i am also trying to get through to my CHN to get Kimberley's hearing checked. I also have the nurse checking Alex out next month for his talking or lack of it.

No problems Michelle...wishing you all the best! Sounds like you're right onto things!

One of my girlfriends takes her son to a speech therapist in the Rockingham area - they chose to pay for it even tho they dont have private health care and it costs them I think $60 for 45 mins. Their son was born June 03 so is a similar age to Kimberly. The speech therapy has certainly helped him.

They decided to pay for it out of their own pocket because the waiting lists were too long.

Kamerons speech therapy was free through the Kindy as they have a speech therapist assigned to work with the kindy kids and when she isn't there a couple of teachers assist Kameron on a day to day level. We were recommended to get Lachlan's checked out as Kameron's had severe delays in some areas. We got in through a health clinic reasonably quickly with Lachlan for the initial assessment and they said that Yes he does have some delays but they wouldn't be able to see him again for another 4 mths. Therefore Lachlan has been picked up by the Kindergarten for early entry so he can see the speech therapist there, which saves us having to wait months for another appointment through the free service.

Love

I pay privatley for Eliza's speechie the inital consult was $130 for an assessment and $60 for follow up appointments. Our public system here only had funding for children that were having speech issues at 4. Its amazing the tools she gave us at our first appointment she had 10 words tops and now I think in 3 months she has about 60 words. It was knowing what and how to help her that I found the most rewarding
    Good Luck
    Bec

Bec, are you able to share with us the sort of tools your speechie has given you? Blake is a couple of months younger than Eliza however he doesn't have many words either (although he's learnt 2 this week!)

Anything that can help us to help our kids would be wonderful.

TIA