Thread: Spends hours 'fighting' the swaddle

Default Spends hours 'fighting' the swaddle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same... so I gave up and moved to sleeping bags. He is much happier with his arms out.

My DS hated being wrapped. I gave up on it and he was happy sleeping like a starfish.

She didn't like it but didn't fight it too much. I found she slept better when wrapped. But now I find that she is waking herself up trying to get out so we are in the transition phase at the moment and she has one arm out.

BUT today we are going to move to the sleeping bag! I'm going to give her a wee bit of muslin to play with in her hands as I find them a problem - she's all over the place sometimes!!

Some babies just don't like it Dusty.
    Sue xxxx

DS1 couldn't sleep without swaddling. DS2 hated it and we gave up swaddling really quickly.

lots of bubs love sleeping in the starfish pose. I saw a thing at baby bunting that was like a cross between a swaddle and a sleeping bag. their arms are still able to be in starfish pose, but they're covered like a swaddle so they don't hit themselves - does that make sense?. you just zip them up in it. can't remember the name of it, sorry.

a friend of mine had great results with a woombie, but is that more like a swaddle?

you can also wrap her with her arms near her face, its hard to explain, but let me know if your interested and i'll try and explain!

Oh yeah, i got a woombie and it was fabulous!! But she grew out of it really quickly

I didn't realise this had posted last night while in the middle of feeding LOL.

Thanks for your replies. She spent the whole of her 3 hour sleep between feeds semiwaking to break out of her swaddle which means she doesn't get into a deep sleep, but when we have her in a deep sleep (after walking her around for 40 mins) she sleeps so much better and doesn't fight the swaddle. When her arms are out they are EVERYWHERE and she can't fall asleep or stay asleep - so a catch 22.

Tashybabe, I found a Wrap Me swaddle on BB site, is that the starfish one you saw?

Sue I think I will try the Woombie - but I think I have to order it on line? I want to get one from a nearby store today to stop the fighting
    Olive I've tried the swaddle with her hands near her face but it seems to make her focus even more on getting them 'free'.

Its all trial and error and the moment. xx

DS is in a wrap me up from babies galore, same idea as a woombie, but allows him to have his hands up by his ears. He loves it, and its so flexible he can squirm all he likes and even suck on his fists still. I would definitely recommend it to try if you can get your hands on it. DS has been in the one size for nearly months now so it has worked out to be quite cheap too!

Have you tried sleeping her on her tummy?
    Charlotte had the exact same problem, then figured out she was a tummy sleeper! Lightbulb moment lol
    So we swaddled her bottom half until she was about a month or 6 weeks old then gave up on that too and went to warm pjs, but the sleeping on the tummy solved the sleep issue, and she didn't have to be wrapped which solved that issue.

Check out Sleepy Wings - not sure when they are available though, but such a fabulous idea, could be helpful.

Ergococoon are similar to woombies but a bit cheaper. We've had both and I personally prefer the ergococoon.

We now have a Wrap Me Up swaddle AND a sleeping baby!! Fingers crossed she stays that way.
    Sue good luck with the transition. I think my DD sounds a lot like yours from your posts
    Lime I didn't even think of that as an option. DH however baulked at the idea cause of SIDs. How did you make it safe/work?
    Watching my sleeping baby.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by dusty View Post
    We now have a Wrap Me Up swaddle AND a sleeping baby!! Fingers crossed she stays that way.
    That's what I saw - hope it works

LOL, Dusty she sounds EXACTLY like Evie. Needs to be wrapped to get over to sleep but sleeps soooooo much better unwrapped.

I have her asleep at the moment unwrapped but that was a fluke, we were out in the car and she fell asleep there and stayed asleep while I put her in bed - which has NEVER happened.

Sue xxx

Just put her down on a flat surface no pillows of blankets or sheepskins or anything, straight on her matress, elevate the end a little bit (assuming she is in a bassinet?). Try it at nap times first, and if you are concerned, keep checking on her (I did lol) but you can get breathing monitors and things, but we never bothered.
    Make sure her head is on the side, and move it to the other side every so often if she sleeps for ages.
    I found Charlotte was able to move her own head a lot earlier than everyone seems to say and she was very good at getting herself comfy.

I was concerned to begin with, but soon realised this is just how she was - she was prosterior and I am a tummy sleeper (until I was almost 30 weeks) so I suppose she was used to sleeping on her tummy? lol
    Anyway, give it a go, you may find she sleeps much better and for longer.

HTH

Dusty you are right. It's all trial and error. DS1 loved swaddling. DS2 hates it. My little baby nephew has always slept on his tummy. I thought it was a bit confronting to see the first few times, but he was completly settled that way and his parents were sensible about how they did it (like LS said).
    Good luck with the sleeping - long may it last