Thread: Squeaky cot side

Default Squeaky cot side

We've had to start putting the side of the cot up when Kynan's in it as he's just started sitting up by himself and reaching out to pull himself up on things. The problem is the side is really noisy when it's raised and lowered and wakes him up. I can't leave it permanently up as Kynan needs me to be right down next to him when I settle him. Anyone got any ideas on how to stop it making so much noise? It's a timber cot and the raising/lowering bar thingies are metal.

Same problem here, DH is meant to fix it I was thinking of trying some ideas that people use for sticky drawers such as rubbing the metal bit with candle wax or crayon.

You could try some of that graphite powder that they use on sticky locks or maybe a tiny bit of WD40 sprayed on a cloth or cotton tip and then wiped over the metal bit.

Thanks for the suggestions, Astrid & Dachlostar. Might give the candle wax a go first and get some graphite powder or WD40 if that doesn't work.

If you don't have any WD40 (it is expensive too), you can use olive oil spray or the like. I use this if we have run out of WD40.

colleeg Guest

Yes I had the same problem, but DW40 or a silicon spray on the hinges works nicely. But check to see if the sheets or blankets are pushed up near it, I found that if it was not tucked in tight it wouldnt squeak, so pushing the matress and blankets clear so the rail can go up and down helped... otherwise good old oil or cooking spray.. also works wonders for squeaky pram wheels or door hinges!
    Colleeg