Thread: Start of cradle cap?

Default Start of cradle cap?

I've just noticed that my DD has this yellowish stuff on her scalp which looks a bit like dandruff. Could this be the start of cradle cap? What can I do to stop it getting worse?

It does sound like cradle cap, I found with DD the best thing was to rub a little bit of lukewarm olive oil into her scalp, leave it overnight and then brush it out with a soft brush in the morning. If it is really bad you can do it over a few nights without washing it out! Breastmilk is also good
    HTH

I put some rose hip oil on my DD scalp about an hour before the bath.....after bath i comb her hair. I find it comes off easier this way....

What products do you use on her hair, or in the bath?

I know that all 3 of my children as babies suffered with cradle cap as a result of using any Johnsons products in the bath......even if we just use Top & Tail as a bubble bath....

(Johnsons have a reputation for bringing out cradle cap & other skin nasties sadly!)

As soon as I stopped using Johnsons, the cradle cap disappeared within the week by itself.......

Hi Kellie! Yep, it sounds like cradle cap. Kieran had it really bad, but it is all gone now. I used bicarb soda turned into a paste (mixed with water). At the start of his bath I would rub it on his head like shampoo and then rinse it out at the end of the bath. At first it softened the flakes and eventually (after a few goes) it disappeared completely. Also the MCHN recommended using QV bath oil in his bath to soften his skin. HTH!

I did the same as Trish Bi Carb is the way to go!

jen

DS had cradle cap from about 3 months onwards, the only thing that seem to work on him was curash shampoo/conditioner all in one. A friend of mine recommended J & J as it got rid of her daughters

how much bicarb and water do you use?

I just pour a small pile of bicarb in my hand and add a little bit of water so that it makes a thick paste, not too watery, but thin enough to spread through his hair. Not a very scientific answer!

Cradle cap is fungal according to the results of much Googling. The best thing that seems to work for me is a wonderful product called MooGoo Infant Scalp Cream. There are a few threads in here about it... I'll have a look. Anyhow it is an all natural product with ingredients like lavender oil which is anti-fungal. It smells devine!

Ok... looking for the threads.... back soon!

ETA: HERE is a link to the MooGoo site.

Kellie sounds exactly what Jasmine has and its just getting worse. Nothing ive tried works yet.

Olive oil
    Dermveen and Dermaid
    Egozite (cradle cap cream)
    Plain water
    Rolled oats

I think olive oil is just a temporary solution. it helps remove the actual scales but I suspect that it might actually "feed" the fungus in the long term. Just my theory. Like wize rolled oats etc. Maybe try some dilute tea-tree oil, or lavender (both ingredients in MooGoo ISC) the fungus needs to be killed for it to go away I think.

Bath how long did it take for the CC to clear up after using the moogoo stuff? Some one else recommended that stuff to me as well and i went to buy it online but they were on holidays...have looked and can buy now...but im sick of buying product after product that dont work!

Sorry to hijack Kellie!

The day after I applied it it was gone but my DS only had a mild case. It returned after a few months (about 4) but I applied it again and it hasn't returned. The tub is large. I hand out samples to every mum that visits and I've still got heaps left. It has lots of uses though. My DH gets psoriasis and it's good for his forehead too. I can't seem to find the other threads about it though... they must have been archived.

no worries Kim! Hope you find the answers you're looking for!