Thread: Steam Vapuoriser

Default Steam Vapuoriser

Hi

Bought one today as my baby has had the flu and is congested (sp?) Has anyone used them and are they safe he is 19 weeks old...

Thanks
    Jules

I have used on for both my children due to croup. ds used it from 5 months old and I think dd was a little older. I found if I left in on for more than a few days they actually got worse. I used for about two days then gave them a rest from it and they usually improved after that. If not I put it on for another 24hrs or so. Make sure you have a window open and a door so the room does not get too moist. I would also have a chat with your Chemist as they can tell you more and may have printed info too.

hi jules,i bought one last week and it did help a bit i think,the chemist told me not to put the menthol stuff in as it would be a bit strong for her,she is 5 months old now.i did put a small amount in though and it was fine,i used one for my oldest son many years ago and it worked magic for him and was a very useful item to have
    nikki

We bought one and it has been great. Didn't use the Vicks stuff until Amy was a bit older.

we have had ours for 2 years now and use it all the time. DD is prone to sinus infections and gets asthma every time she has a cold, so it is the only way she gets a good night's sleep when she is sick. Only prob is it can make the room quite hot, so sometimes its a good idea to leave the window open a touch (sounds silly i know when you are trying to get it steamy, but in Summer the heat can be a prob).

Maddy had a cold and bronchitis at 6wks and we bought a steam vaporiser too. Chemist told us we could do plain steam or try a teeny amount of the menthol drops or eucalyptus oil in the water.

Also, I found some Baby Balsom (Vicks) on the singlet works well too. At that age they're a little too young for it directly on the skin but the chemist said on the singlet is fine.

Thanks for all your tips girls, it seems to help.

Jules

i hire a voporiser from the chemist whenever T has the snuffles , we only use it when hes sleeping i just thought i might add that apparently the vicks vaporiser is really good because the steam is cooler ... which is supposed to be alot healthier they are great i might look into purchasing one in the future but for now im happy to hire them