Thread: Sterilizing Toys

Question Sterilizing Toys

Hi all

I just wondered if anybody sterilizes their babies toys? I've bought some toys from EBay and thought it would be good to clean them...but I don't know how. Some can go in the washing machine (which I've already done) but others say 'surface wash only' - how do I do that?! I'm guessing I can't use Glen 20 or something similar... And for plastic toys, how is the best way to clean them?

Or maybe it's not even something that I need to do?? Any ideas or comments would be welcome. Thanks!!

I would do it because they have come from someone else. You could try steam cleaning them. My MIL is so pedantic about that sort of thing, she dunks EVERYTHING in pine-o-clean before she would let the kids have it LOL.

I wouldnt do it from friends, family or between my own kids, but from astranger yep I would spray the surface clean only ones weith Pine O Clean & let it dry in the sun or something??? It would depend on the toy, but if it could go in the wadhing machine I'd probably use Canesten washing detergent stuff & surface clean spray with a disenfectant or something!!!

Thanks girls! So it would be okay to use a disinfectant when the baby will be putting it in his mouth etc? I thought that would be a no-no?!?

If you use it and then give it a really good rinse and put it out in the sun to dry off, all the traces of the cleaner should be gone. You could use a bit of eucalyptus or tea tree oil in hot water too.

Some hard plastic toys can go in the dishwasher as well

Cath78 Guest

I also dunk them in distenfectant - diluted. Then rinse off and leave to dry.

Use a wash bag like you use for underwear. Put the toys in this and dunk in distenectant and water. I read that hint somewhere!

Some soft toys can't be washed like this. I hang them on the line on a bright sunny day. This is good for getting rid of dust. If they are dirty - i'm not sure - haven't got to that point yet!

My mum works in a doctor surgery and they put all appropriate toys in the dishwasher.