Thread: Sticky/pussy eyes in baby?

Default Sticky/pussy eyes in baby?

Hi Ladies,

Wondering if anyone knows anything about this or has experienced it.

Claire seems to have this pussy looking stuff in her eyes. I dont think its sleep - its too gooey and sticky for that. It is a yellowy greeny colour, like snot colour sort of. We wiped it off with cotton balls and water, but it came back a couple hours later. I googled it and i found some information about how babys have blocked tear ducts sometimes which can cause something similar, but i dont know if its the same thing.

Has anyone experienced that with their baby?
    Is it normal, or should I take her to see a doctor?

Karina, I was going to suggest blocked tear ducts too. Logan has this also. I told Simone to bath his eyes at every bath time and frequent intervals during the day. Just use a cotton ball with some saline or cooled boiled water and wipe from the inner corner to the outside once. Throw away that ball and get a fresh one and do it again. You can also softly massage her tear duct with one of your fingers. Just put your finger under her eye, near the duct and very hently massage it in little circles.

Some booby milk in her eye is also great as it's full of antibodies.

If it continues or you think it is getting worse then yes take her to the Dr.

Hope all of that helps you hun. Oh yes, it's very common too.

Yep,yep and yep!! sophie has the same pussy eye, we wipe and spray!! breast milk is fabo, aiming is sometimes hard lol,

Charlie had blocked tear ducts when he was a baby (from birth to around 5 months).

I tired everything: massaging, breast milk, saline solution etc etc.

Nothing worked and it began to look really dreadful.

I took him to our GP who prescrirbed some ointment, and it cleared it up overnight, and it had never been a problem since..........

William had this just the same as Lucy's Charlie. We also ended up going the ointment route in the end because nothing was clearing it up. That worked.

Sometimes they grow out of it but if the tear duct doesn't unblock itself and it's getting to be a problem, see the doctor.

Flynn had the same thing - it hung around for ages and no about of boob juice or wiping would work. I ended up being told to buy "Bleph 10" (over-the-counter antibiotic drops) but I would ask your GP.

Same problem here.
    DS is six months and still getting it - I'm taking him to the doc this week to get some ointment because it keeps clearing up and coming back. He's had it on and off since birth. It's a pain!!

My friends boy had the same prob....

Her solution... well one that came about on its own was... everytime her DOG went passed he licked his eye... & it cleared up in no time...

I asked my Dr about it & he said that yup it does work LOL.....

Thanks everyone! I'll see how we go for a little while, and if no improvements I'll go in to see a doctor.
    omg, how strange about the dog?

Wierd I know... but it worked hehehe....

Mason had one blocked tear duct and Angus had both.

They both stopped at about 6 weeks I think (it was a while ago )

I used to massage down the side of their noses to try and help. My MCHN did mention something about using a probe to unblock the tear duct but I think that would be a drastic measure. It doesn't sound to pleasant a thing to go through for a little bub.

Yep Chelsea had it when she was 3 weeks old...last about 2-4 days. We were told to use 150ml boiled water and 1 teaspoon of salt and wipe her eyes with it....helped and healed in no time. Was a blocked tear duct!

not sure about for babies eyes, but dog saliva does have some sort of healing or anti fungal properties - I have been told by more than one person that it gets rid of tinea.

I just wiped Jesse's eye out with a warm wet washer as i had stopped breastfeeding. Then lightly towel dried it a few times during the day and it was gone within 2 or 3 days.