Thread: Stopped sleeping through!

Default Stopped sleeping through!

Hi Girls,

I have not posted on here in a while, but as you all know life with a newborn can be hectic! But I am perplexed by this problem and would love to hear your thoughts/feedback. (And I promise to post more from now on

James was sleeping through the night at 2 months (9-10 hours). Then he started only doing catnaps (40 mins) during the day, so we took him to Tweddle sleep school, now he is sleeping better during the day (but not too long - 2.5 hour naps at most), but all of a sudden on his 3 month birthday he has started waking during the night for a feed.

We stopped wrapping him a few weeks ago but this has only just become a problem. Did anyone else have this problem? Do I just have to be grateful for the month of sleep-throughs I got?

PS he is fully breastfed, and was doing 5-6 feeds per day when sleeping through the night.

Thanks
    Pearl

Okay, maybe he is hitting his next growth spurt and is genuinely hungry again. My little boy did this, so I started him on a bit of farex (early I know, but it worked and was much happier and sleeping again) as the milk alone just wasn't enough for him. Hopefully it will sort itself out or you could try what I suggested.

sherieb

Kirsty77 Guest

Pearl

I just posted about this also!!Gemma is 3 months and has been sleeping through(at least 10 hours) and then all of a sudden was waking at 11pm then hourly from then on!!I was completely stunned!I think it was a growth spurt as she was just soooo hungry and couldn't make it through the night without a feed or two.Gemma only did it for 2 nights thankfully and is now back to normal(this was only 2 days ago!!).Gemma also has a long morning nap 7.30am till about 10 or 11am than only has 30-40min naps after that in the afternoon, but sleeps through.

A girl at work was saying her little boy was doing the same thing recently. She also put it down to a growth spurt, as he suddenly outgrew his clothes too!

Hope you get your sleep again soon

I have heard it is pretty common at around 3 months also ( #-o bummer - cause Emma has only 2 weeks left until she is 3 months). I guess if they are going through a big growth spurt they need to feed more, especially if bf

Between 11 weeks and 15 weeks Matthew slept through every night but since then he has continually woken up, now it`s usually only once or maybe twice a night but it has been up to 6 times, he`s now 7.5 months of age, I really don`t mind afterall if he`s waking he`s waking for a reason, I just bring him back to bed and feed him and he`s asleep again with 5 minutes.

Debbie Lee Guest

Pearl - I would agree with the others and say it's probably a growth spurt. From memory, Gab did a similar thing at 3 months then again at 4 months. It's frustrating, but it will get easier. She also did the cat-nap things which drove me crrrrazy!
    They change soooo much and sometimes it can be all of a sudden. For example, for a good couple of months, Gabby slept for 8 hours on the nose - no wake ups or a dummy. Then she started sleeping even longer BUT suddenly had to have a dummy at night (which resulted in me having to get up a few times a night to pop it back in - though I don't mind if that's all I have to do).
    She has been wrapped since birth and I am only just starting to try and have her unwrapped now (she's 9 months old).
    Maybe you could try wrapping again?

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Same here! Very normal! I've been recommending to everyone to get a copy of the Wonder Weeks, it's a very realistic and honest book written by paeds on what to expect about babies and their growth spurts, exactly when they happen, what happens, and how babies and parents feel during these times. I think we can sometimes get lulled into a false sense of security when newborns sleep through, some babies continue to sleep through but the vast majority most stop around 3-5 months. Sometimes it's only temporary, sometimes it's longer. But your baby sounds very normal.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Thanks everyone for your replies!

I hope it is just a growth spurt! Yesterday I changed strategy a bit:

- I let him only have his catnaps during the day,
    - and fed him every 2.5 hours, making sure he got 6 full feeds in (plus his early morning one from the night before)

so last night he slept from 9pm-4.30am (waking once at 3am with a pooey nappy and fell asleep again once I changed it). So that's pretty good.

So one of the two things worked, but I can't do one without the other (ie if I try to get him to sleep more it may mean missing a feed). The annoying thing is, when he woke at 4.30 this morning, after the feed he seemed to think the day had started and only did a catnap afterward! He is sleeping again now let's hope it's for a while.

I think maybe feeding him so much has boosted my milk supply too so that will be good if it is just a growth spurt. Fingers crossed!

Kirsty - Gemma sounds just like James having a big morning nap too, then just cat-napping! Debbie Lee I am a bit afraid of wrapping him again! He likes having his hands and sometimes when he wakes he will suck them back to sleep (won't take a dummy).

sherieb - what is farex?

Katie10 thanks I will go and check out your other thread. Does Kelsey sleep through now?

Linda I hope Emma keeps on sleeping through.

Everyone in Melbourne hope you don't get too hot today

Merry Christmas

Love Pearl

Pietta Guest

Yep just to add Ryley does this EVERY time he is having a growth spurt- hooray for us!!

It is all normal

Good Luck and Merry Christmas to you too!!