Thread: Stuttering

Default Stuttering

Hi all,

I am concerned about my 3yr old son.He has always spoken really well without any problems.

Then on about the 23rd December i noticed he was having a few problems getting the words out therefore causing him to stutter. I put it all down to the excitement of christmas, having his nan and pop staying with us and lots of late nights and thought maybe he is just tired and this was what was causing him to stutter.

Well with christmas over and his nan and pop gone i am affraid to say that the stuttering has stayed so obviously christmas,visitors ,late nights etc have nothing to do with it.

I am wondering if i should take him to the Dr's now to get there opinion or if i should just let it go for another week and see what happens. I want to sort the problem out now, as i figure the longer i leave it the worse it will get.

If anyone has gone through this i would love to hear what you did to help with the stuttering.Did you go to speech pathology? How long before you noticed any improvement? How much does it cost?

Thanks in advance, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

My 3 year old son has been doing exactly what you have described. I too thought it was all the excitement of christmas and everything but it still happens every now and again.

I remember when I was about 15 one of my Mum's friends had to take her son to a speech pathologist and I remember her saying to her son when he was stuttering to slow down and think about what he wanted to say and to say it slower. So I've done that with Daniel and it helps a bit. But that's just for the few times its happened, if it keeps up I will be seeking help too.

If you get any good advice I might need it myself.

many people stutter as children but grow out of it, although obviously for some this can continue into adulthood. my brother used to stutter as a child - mostly when he was excited, nervous or upset. what he needed to do was calm down, think about what he was going to say and then speak slowly. the problem with stuttering is that the more the person doing it gets flustered, the worse it becomes. children in particular can become very frustrated by it and this in turn can make it worse.

if i were you i would encourage your son to slow down when he starts to stutter (but otherwise draw not attention to the fact he is doing it) and shee if he starts to improve or not. if he doesn't i would get in touch with someone who deals with speach difficulties.

Hi Christine and thanks for your reply.I am glad to hear that others are experiencing the same.
    Thanks for your reply too Misty, and like you said a lot of the stuttering is occuring when my son is tired, excited or upset. I will be keeping a close eye on how things progress.

I spoke to someone yesterday about the situation and the advice they gave me was to ignore the stuttering. I was told that some children do stutter because of the extra attention they get for doing it (because you are always correcting them, therefore they have your attention) so i was told that you are best off to ignore it completely and see how things progress.
    Of course if the problem gets worse or continues then you would need to do something about it. I wasn't sure if this would be the correct way to deal with it but i have given it a go since about 3pm yesterday afternoon i can say that i have noticed a difference, nothing to drastic yet but i think over time it will continue to improve.

Anyway i will keep you informed as to how things are going.

Attention is everything to Daniel at the moment, especially since Emma was born so if it is an attention thing and you are getting results already then that's good to hear.

I shall keep it in mind for Daniel and hope things continue to improve for you.

As someone that was a stutterer (is that even a word? LOL!), can I just say please don't ask your child to slow down & think about what they're going to say. It is one of the most vivid things I can remember my dad saying to me as a child "Slow down, thin about what you're going to say and then say it." It drove me nutso! It was frustrating because thinking about it was not going to help me because I already knew what it was I was trying to say.

My sister has a degree in Early Childhood Education & I just spoke to her about it. She says it's not a good idea to tell them to slow down, it's not a thinking issue, it's one of communication. She says the problem with telling them to slow down & think about it is that they will just give up, because they know what they want to say & it's annoying to be told to think about it when they already have. You need to be patient with them & let them finish in their own time. Don't try to finish their sentences either. She also said to remind him to speak slowly, as that's where the problem might be.

Hi guys.... well i am happy to say that since i was on last my son's stuttering has just about completely gone....so i must say the theory of ignoring it has worked well for me.

Thanks for all of your replies i appreciate the advice you all had to offer.