Thread: Suggestions please-Bed time drama's

Default Suggestions please-Bed time drama's

Evan is 4 & has always been difficult to get to bed. This has been delt with by co-sleeping since he was about 6 months. Since about August last year he has been co-sleeping with Glenn. DH still stays with them till they are asleep. We have now reached a point where we feel he needs to learn to go to sleep on his own. He is very naughty come bed time, stuffs around, talks, cries, makes excusses for why he needs to get up; need to wee, hungry, thirsty, wanna be with mum etc. I put my foot down about us both being in there while pg with Isla & don't want to take over for DH when he gets fed up with Evans behaviour as I feel we would be giving in to want he wants. Its not that he wants me, its just another decoy to avoid going to sleep. The biggest issue is that he often keeps Glenn awake & also wakes Isla with his screaming & yelling. DH doesn't want to make bed time seem like a punishment for him but he is also starting to lose his temper with it. He has to get up early & really needs to be in bed & asleep by 10.30 other wise he is paying for it for days untill he can catch up again. Its getting to the point that 10 - 10.30 Evan is still awake.
    I think we need to introduce a new bed time routine where Evan is going to sleep with out one of needing to be with him. But how?
    This is our bed time routine atm, admittingly its not stuck to 100% but we do try.
    Ok Dinner is around 7 / 7.30, Then around 8 /8.15 teeth & toilet/nappys etc.
    8.30 a story book, lights out at end of the story & another spoken story (three little pigs, three bears, that sort of thing) while they are meant to be going to sleep.

Glenn is usually asleep within 5 or so minutes after lights out. Evan well its now 10 & I can still hear him yakking. Neither of the boys have day sleeps, they just don't work in our house. DH thinks that an earlier bed time wont work either as regardless of what time they go in its usually 9.30 before they fall asleep (which makes sence because day light savings means its actually 8.30). We are happy with this bed time, earlier just wont work seems DH often isn't home till 6.30/7. Its always been this way because when I was working I wasn't home till 7.30.

So I am looking for suggestions on how to make the transition to a hassle free bed time!

HELP

We have had exactly the same problem with Luke (he will be 4 in July). With baby #2 only 9 weeks away we decided that we have to change this quickly because it takes so much time to stay with him and wait for him to go to sleep and he too would chat and think of every little thing to get out of bed.

This might sound too good to be true but it has worked for us. Luke LOVES superman at the moment so I bought a book of superman stickers. I made up a chart with enough squares for 1 month, wrote a big heading on the top Luke's bedtime superman sticker chart, laminated it and it hangs on the door beside his bed. We made a big deal about how special the chart was. If he goes to bed without fussing and on his own he gets to choose a sticker out of the book in the morning and can put it on a square of his chart. It's the first thing he does now when he wakes up.

I don't know why but it has worked every night since we started it. Hubby and I have been able to spend that little bit of extra time together or just have some time to myself. It may / may not work but give it a try with his favourite character or toy. You never know.

I forgot to say we always have a story beofre lights out. I sit beside his bed on a chair. He also has one of those little light eggs that he takes to bed with him (the one that changes colour)
    Last edited by ~Raven~; February 15th, 2007 at 01:53 PM. Reason: two posts in a row

I was thinking about doing something like this as it worked with toilet training for him. I will see what DH thinks. Thanks for the suggestion.