Thread: Sun Screen for babies?

Default Sun Screen for babies?

A couple of times when it's been hot and we've been at the beach we have used normal sunscreen on Lucie. Is this really bad?? And what is special about sbaby sunscreen apart from being less fragrant?

Thanks for asking this question Soph I was going to do the same a few weeks back but didn`t get around to doing it.

Melinda Guest

I'm not exactly sure what the difference in between adult sunscreen and baby sunscreen, but it would have to be somehow different as baby's skin is so much more sensitive.

I found some stuff at the supermarket a while back that is a roll-on (kind of like a deodorant) which is pretty convenient.

There are some that are made for children and sensitive skin. Maybe ask your chemist.

I remember my first trip back to Bali with maddy when she was a baby & I was given a Vaseline brand Moisturiser, sun lotion & insect repellant all in obe cream....
    It was made specially for Babies... Have never seen it sold anywhere & cant recall whom gave it to me!????

I found some RID sunscreen/insect repellant for babies out there. I used baby sunscreen on Matilda last year because of sensitive skin. I still am going to use it this year as well & then probably go to using the same as us next year.

They say not to use adult suncream until 1 year old, bUT theres a special babies suncream from 6mths plus, you can get it at Coles in the medical section

I use Sun-Sense Toddler Milk spf30+. It is specially formulated for toddlers and children.... comes in a roll-on tube from the chemist for about $10.

I have been using it since Aidyn was about 8 months, and before that I tried to keep him out of direct strong sunlight as much as possible...

Yep - we used the rollon stuff for babies in the Cook Islands.

Alot of sunsceens have a chemical called PABA in it - which is really harsh on my face, I peel because of it. Alot of people react to it. I have to use a special cream for my face, and use a different one for my body.
    I would aim to find a special baby one, but as for the only about 6 months thing - well I say better to have sunscreen on than not IYKWIM??

HTH
    Fi

We bought the anti-cancer council's toddler sunscreen.

Give the Australian Cancer Council in your state a quick call! They'd be able to recommend the best product to keep your child safe and probably who actually stocks the items.

is there a minimum age for sunscreen?

I went to our health food shop the other day and asked them about baby sunscreen and the naturopath there said that you shouldnt use anything on them untill they are about 4 months old. it has something to do with their pours and needing them to not be blocked.

She suggested just keeping them out of direct sunlight and/or having them covered in a wrap of some sort when in the sun. I think I am going to just go and get some baby sunscreen though and use it on Victorias legs and arms and see how we go, living in qld you dont want to take any chances. We spend alot of time at the beach too and her little legs poke out from the babybjorn carrier.
    We havnt been to the beach with her yet though. Maybe this weekend?

oh - the beach sounds like a great idea cindy. i know what you mean about the carriers. i use a wrap to cover Emma in the pram but you cant really do much about those little legs poking out of the carries can you?

Colleen Guest

We have been camping twice now and spent yesterday afternoon at the beach and we had no probs with the UV tripleguard gentle formula for Kids, which we got for around $10 for 50ml in a roll on bottle @ the supermarket, 4hrs water resistant, 30 + no burnies on Jaykob!