Thread: Sunscreen....

Default Sunscreen....

I have been putting sunscreen on Emma for a while now. I did a test on her skin and she had no reaction to it, so now if we are out in the sun I put it on her. But recently, someone told me that you shouldnt use it on them because their liver cant handle it? I have no idea what this is all about, I thought the only risk was a skin irritation? Mind you the bottle says it is fine for babies over 6 months and they wont put it on their 10 month old, so I dont know what age they think is ok, it seems a little strange to me. Does anyone know what the whole liver problem is about? I have still been using the sunscreen in the meantime, because in my point of view it is better not to risk her getting burnt, but I do want to be sure...

TIA

I would love to hear anyones replies on this as well!. I have a special babies sunscreen and the chemist said it was fine for my daughter ...she was 3months when I started using it on her .

I put it on every time we are out during the hottest part of the day ....so usually approx 3 times a week.

I just checked the packaging and it does say use after 6months...arghhh....not what the chemist told me!.

Cass

I have never heard anything about sunscreen affecting a baby's liver before.... sounds like a very strange theory to me!
    I was putting sunscreen on Aidyn from about 6months+... (I think it is Sunsense Toddler Milk?)

Cass - I wouldnt be too worried about it... I mean, if Kaitlyns skin was fine with the suncreen, then its much better using it, than her getting burnt! (IMO anyway)

Cass mine also says 6 months on the bottle (Banana boat kids roll on)- but like Ambah said - I think it's better not to get them burnt!

Thanks for the replies, I will still be interested to hear if anyone has heard of the liver thing?

The liver thing sounds dodgy to me...

...I wonder if it has anything to do with the suggestion that sunscreen use is cutting down on UV exposure and allegedly leading to Vitamin D deficiency? Supposedly widespread use of sunscreen is leading to children low in vitamin D because they never get exposed to enough UV light to produce it (it is produced as a result of the skin being exposed to sunlight).

As far as I am aware, the alleged widespread vitamin D deficiency does not exist, or if it does, it certainly does not cause the expected symptoms - there has been no recent epidemic of Vitamin D deficiency or Ricketts that I have seen! This supposed lack of Vitamin D can also cause liver damage. So perhaps that's where your friend got this impression?

Sunscreens advertised as safe for children should be safe, and are a lot safer than repeated exposure to UV rays. In fact, several quite reputable websites suggest that child-safe sunscreens advertised as "not for use on children under six months of age" can in fact be used because of the above reasons. This from the American Academy of Paediatrics:

For babies under six months of age, sunscreen may be used on small areas of the body such as the face and the back of the hands if adequate clothing and shade are not available. For older children, test the sunscreen on the baby's back for a reaction before applying it all over. Apply carefully around the eyes, avoiding the eyelids. If your baby rubs sunscreen into her eyes, wipe the eyes and hands clean with a damp cloth. If the sunscreen burns her eyes, try a different brand or try a sunscreen stick or sunblock with titanium dioxide or zinc oxide. If a rash develops, talk to your pediatrician."

Of course, good quality clothing, a hat, and avoiding the hottest parts of the day, as children at this age are more prone to dehydration as well.

Okay, I feel like I'm lecturing now - =P - I'd better stop!

Hmm.. I have never heard of it either. I use sunscreen on Matthew and have done all summer.

The liver argument I've heard is as follows (not sure what I think of it though....)

The skin absorbs some of the sunscreen spread onto it and scientists are currently unsure as to the effects of the chemicals absorbed on the nervous system, liver or other organs. The argument goes that as young babies skins are thinner and their livers less used to exposure to toxins, it is uncertain what amount of sunscreen absorption would exceed the metabolic capacities of the liver.

For us there was no question. I had sunburn poisoning 3 times as a child and I will NOT risk it with my kids. I think if you are really worried talk to your GP I'm sure they'd be up with the latest research.

I found a great link to the Skin Cancer Council in SA Just google "Newborn Sunscreen site:.au" and it should come up, if not let me know and I'll forward the link. But basically they say there is no evidence to suggest its a problem.

*mwa*
    Cailin

Thanks so much for all the info guys! I will google that info now Cailin.

edited to say: Cailin, would you mind emailing me the link? I couldnt find it. Ta :flower:

I did read the other day in the Daily Telegraph that Vitamin D deficiency is on the rise again because children are generally less active and do not go outside to play much. But surely exposure to the sun even with suncreen is enough to maintain vitamin D levels, because sunscreen proctects against harmful UV rays. And it is definately NOT worth risking sunstroke/sunburn in children just to avoid liver damage (a somewhat skeptical claim that one!).

Right now though I've been using the Aeroguard 30+ suncreen and insect repellant so the kids don't get bitten by mossies or flies either and it is really good.

I was told by our chemist that the reason that most sunscreens say for over 1 year olds is because of the babies skin absorbing the lotion (like someone said earlier ) They suggested I used the toddler milk because it was for younger skins. Living in QLD we decided that the risk of sun exposure was heaps higher than the risks of absorbing chemicals when using the toddler milk. HTH!

Well, all UV rays are harmful in that they can burn and cause skin cancer with repeated exposure.

The trick is moderation. It is okay for children to play outside in the shade, or at dusk, without sunscreen, and this gives them sun exposure so that they will produce adequate Vitamin D. You need to be careful at the seaside, though, because UV rays reflect and even in the shade, if you are out during the hotter parts of the day, you can be nurnt by reflecting UV rays from the ocean.