Thread: Supplement Feeding with formula?????

Question Supplement Feeding with formula?????

I'm having some ankle surgery done next month and I'm worried that I won't be able to express enough BM for DS to last the whole day. My plan is to express as much as I can, which isn't normally much and then if need be, have some formula on stand by incase he needs more.

My question is, to those of you who have supplemented with formula before, did your bub refuse BB's afterwards, or have any problems after drinking formula? I'm probably just paranoid that he will, and have nothing to worry about, but I would love to hear your stories to calm my worries.

Thanks for helping if you can.

Totally different situation to yours, but my bub goes between boob and bottle all day long. That's not to say that we've had no problems at all, but we're still BFing almost six months later!

Has your DS had a bottle before? I take it he hasn't had formula before? I don't know, maybe you should try him with some to make sure he's okay with it. Or on the day get his carer to mix half EBM and half formula in case he doesn't like the formula too much. Or he might be fine with the formula and you won't need to worry at all!

Don't stress about him coming back to the boob, he'll be so excited when you whip them out, you'll feel great (if a little like a milk bar!)

paradise lost Guest

Have you considered increasing supply to store? Plan a weekend where you have lots of help at home, don't have anywhere to go and then whenever you feed from one side, pump from the other. You'll spend about 12 hours switching back and forth between boobs then, to keep him happy, but persevere (don't panic he WILL NOT STARVE!) and your milk supply will increase. I have a friend who did this because her sister was going into hospital and she was taking her baby for a week, she spent the 3 days before pumping off like this and was able to feed both babies for the week no bother (and stored quite a lot of EBM too!). Just a thought...

Bec

Great idea Bec, I like it!

Mummy Mel - I do both and Tom is fine with either. I think as long as its food he is happy! Good luck x