Thread: Swaddling

catherine Guest

Default Swaddling

How long is it safe to keep swaddling? I read somewhere that babies shouldn't be swaddled after 4 months. We tried putting DS in a sleeping bag last night and he spent the first 20 mins with his legs in the air blowing rasberries, then he cracked it and wouldn't settle until he was back in his wrap under his blankets. I really want to get him into a sleeping bag as he keeps kicking off the blankets or shuffling them over his face, but if he loves to be wrapped can I keep doing it?

Cath78 Guest

My DD is 14 months old and I still wrap her. She cannot roll in bed though due having her legs in splints in bed. I think it becomes a prob when they can roll. I just wrap one arm in and leave one out. I think its just the routine of wrapping that she likes too. She now gets the other arm out too. When she was asleep I then pulled out the wrap from under her so she didn't choke herself on it. This is not working now as I have found that she is now attached to her wrap like a blankie so i am going to cut it up in pieces.

maybe your DS is used to the routine and/or the wrap too.

Usually they suggest stopping when your baby starts to roll over, so 4 months is more of a guide.

Catherine, can Henry get his arms out himself?
    Natalie usually manages to get her arms out anyway, so I'm going to keep wrapping for as long as she likes it.
    The other thing that was suggested to me by someone on here was to put them in a sleeping bag then wrap around that so that if they do fling off the wrap in their sleep, they're still warm in the bag. I guess the covers wouldn't go over their face that way either...

K was wrapped for his day sleeps until 18 months and our CHN said that was fine. By the time he could roll over he could also loosen the wrap enough to use his arms and we never had a problem with him getting stuck on his tummy.
    Last edited by Angel; August 7th, 2007 at 01:28 PM.

I agree with the advice above - there really is no "age" as such when you should stop wrapping. We transitioned from wrapping into a sleeping bag by using a muslin wrap over the top of a sleeping bag and then gradually keeping one and then both arms out. Now DS is soooo into the muslin blankie that it is just loose in his bed so he can snuggle up to it. It's very much a security blanket for him these days.

Toby is six months old and I still wrap him at night. I leave one arm free...will continue to do it for as long as I can because he sleeps much better wrapped.
    I have a sleeping bag for him for the cooler weather but at the rate we're going I'll probably put him in that and then wrap him over the top LOL.
    I say keep doing it for as long as baby wants it.

Great idea about the muslin wrap Kirsty. I've been thinking about how to transition to a bag as wrapping helps Angus get to sleep. He normally gets one or both arms out and then sleeps on his side with his hands up at his face but he has just started rolling in his cot even though he has been rolling for quite a while. He can't roll back yet but has become very mobile in his cot - this morning at 5am I found his wrap at the top of his cot, his firmly tucked in blanket still in place at the bottom and him grinning at me lying crossways in the middle! It's getting a bit cool at night now for him to be out of the covers so it might need to be a bag sooner rather than later.

Kaitlyn was wrapped until 8mths. Took me two attempts to get her out of the wrap as she LOVED it..but it just got to hot for her. The second time I popped her in a sleeping bag and after two unsettled nights she was fine. Some babies just really enjoy the security .

catherine Guest

Thanks ladies. I put Henry in a sleeping bag last night and wrapped his arms over the top. Worked okay to get him off to sleep, but after his feed at 1am he thought it was party time and didn't go back to sleep until 2.30am.....too much fun to be had kicking his legs in the sleeping bag! I will perservere and gradually wrap just one arm, he hasn't started rolling fully yet so I have a bit of time up my sleeve.