Thread: Swaddling question

Default Swaddling question

DS is almost 4 months old and lately overnight he is waking up about 3-4am but when I go into his room he doesn't seem awake, he is crying but his eyes are closed and he has managed to get out of his wrap. As soon as I swaddle him again he goes straight back to sleep till he wants a feed around 5 am.

Could this be a sign that I should start weaning from the wrap?? Im wodering if he is starting to see the wrap as a sleep association. I really want to get him into a sleeping bag by June as the house gets really cold over night and he always manages to get out of his wrap and covers.

Just wondering when people decided to wean from the wrap? Why did you decide to do this? Was it hard?? When do babies lose the startle reflex?

Thank you in advance!

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

we took DS out of swaddle at 10 weeks straight into grobag (did not wean just cold turkey) and had no problems and havent looked back.

good luck

Thank you feeb for the response. Can I ask why did you decide to move ds to the sleeping bag??

I would love to hear other people's experiences also. Not really sure what to do!! As I speak DS is grunting and groaning in bed and I think he is fighting the wrap. Although at the same time I dont want him to wake himself up wih his hands which I fear will happen if I stop wrapping. Grrr I feel like I go in and re wrap him more than I sleep!! Hopefully this isn't the 4 month sleep regression. I was saying to DH last night that we will be buggered if he goes through that as he doesn't have anything to regress to!!

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

we had a few really hot nights in september and i figured he would possibly be to hot, in swaddle me wrap.

we stopped wrapping DS at 4-5 months, but had wrapped him with arms out for ages before that (yes whie he still had startle reflex) becuase he hated his arms wrapped and would work them out on his own, or get very upset uintil we unwrapped them. befre he coulf roll, he slept on his back with his arms up aroundhis head (sometimes called 'starfish' position).

If you are wanting to get him in to a sleeping bag in June anyway, you may as well start now. Otherwise there are a few different sorts of wrapping methods that are aimed specifically ant them not being able to get their arms out - but if he is rolling I wouldnt suggest them.

I started a similar thread recently and had some good responses. I have just updated it with my recent experience.

http://bellybelly.com.au/forums/baby...-wrapping.html

I initially thought the startle reflex was till 4/4.5 months, though I read in a book recently, that they still have that reflex till 6months. So, not real sure on which is true. I have been using a tight sheet to keep DS legs down but it's more cause he plays with his feet, not cause he is being startled. I hope this helps somewhat.