Thread: Swimming!

Default Swimming!

DD is 6 months old ,want to take her to the pool.. I know babies do it all the time, but is clorine (sp) safe for eyes and if they swollow it?

How old was ur bub when u first took them to the pool?

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

Both my boys started lessons at 6 months at in door pool, not had any problems.

My ds was born mid decmeber so was in the pool for the very first time at 7 weeks. I just didnt put his head under for a few months but as far as i know no harm came to him from it
    Like Feebs, most bubs start swimming lessons sometime between 6 and 12 months

I took Ds at 3 months, he loved it. I just made sure not to get his head wet.

DD is 8 weeks and I was going to take her today but the pool was closed.

I was going to ask this question also Shell I can't wait to take missy swimming!

Sue xxx

Both my girls went to the pool from about 3 months and started lessons at 6 months. Their reflexes mean they don't tend to sallow the water and the chlorine doesn't seem to bother them until they are about 3 or 4 generally.

This is somthing i wish i had done with my boys... good on you. I just found i couldn't do it with two children. Yet another reason we need to live closer to family.

I also worried about the chlorine.

DD is just on 6 months and we've been going to swimming classes for 10 weeks now - she loves it! We aren't submerging them until next term, but with all her crazy splashing and kicking she ends up soaked all over.

The health nurse did suggest once we've been swimming to either shower or bath them so the chlorine is rinsed from their skin. Most pools have showers to dunk under before and after going in.

Have fun!

Not a public pool but we took DS swimming in our pool while living in Townsville when he was only a few weeks old, he was born the Jan and it was SO hot! We just kept his head out of water but as others have said they have classes for 6month plus babies so it should be fine.

We started DD swimming lessons when she was 6 months old and she loves them, DH takes her now as I can't get out and about at the moment, but she is going in leaps and bounds and I can't wait to go back to see her swim
    We will be starter this bub as soon as we can as well, as we have a pool at home, so water awareness is very important for us.

we started lessons at about 8 months. DS loves it & doesn't seem to have any issues with the water/chlorine

DS started lessons at 6 months and I plan on keeping them up for many years to come, I think it is really important to be able to swim well and be confident in the water, so tend to think it's good to start early iykwim? We go to a salt water pool which he doesn't have any problems with, personally I like that it is a bit more natural than chlorine, but that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss E View Post
    DS started lessons at 6 months and I plan on keeping them up for many years to come, I think it is really important to be able to swim well and be confident in the water, so tend to think it's good to start early iykwim? We go to a salt water pool which he doesn't have any problems with, personally I like that it is a bit more natural than chlorine, but that's just me.
    saltwater pools aren't actually chlorine-free, instead they use a chlorine generator to break down the salt and convert it, instead of directly adding chlorine. We had a salt water pool and I always thought that meant there was no chlorine but that isn't the case

Started at 5 months here - usually they dont submerge the babies until about 6 months

DS drinks the damn water (and laughs when I tell him not too), I wouldn't worry too much, the odd mouthful here and there wont do any harm - am more worried about all the kids that probably pee in the pool and all the urine he is probably ingesting LOL