Thread: Swimming Lessons

Default Swimming Lessons

Does anyone take their babies to swimming lessons? I want to take Lily but am not sure because like on tv ad and stuff I see they put baby's heads under water. How do the babies know not to breathe? WOn't they drown? This is the only thing stopping me from taking her...

Tegan Here is a chat we had before about swimming lessons There is also a link in that thread to another discussion on it

I took Matilda to swimming and what we used to do was prompt them before they go under, and Matilda never had any problems, in fact she loves it so much even in the bath she will stick her head under & blow bubbles!

Well the thing is Lily doesn't like water on her head. Do you think it was be a problem? Its just I thought they wouldn't do it to young babies because you can exactly say, blow out not in under the water lol

Tegan,
    I think they will let her go at her own pace, it is very good though to teach a child to swim at an early age, it prevents panic, which is good!
    Maddy still hates showering as water runs down her face, but she swims underwater etc...???

Tegan,

Jenna loves water, but she still opens her mouth underneath, and swallows half the pool. I think the best thing about swimming lessons is its taught me not to be so stressed about babies and water. They actually dont mind getting their head under, and the schools are great - they will teach you the basics like kicking, floating ont heir back and dog paddle by a fairly young age. The whole idea is to get them to a stage where if they fall in to water, they can get to the side of a pool and hang on.
    They are a great idea, and might get you and Lily more used to water on her head. She might cry a bit at first, but she'll get used to it, and will probably love the playtime!

Fi

Tegan, yes they do cough and splutter the first few weeks of swimming, but they come to know exactly what to do.

I think swimming is fantastic for kids of all ages

Tanya

Kirsty77 Guest

Thanks for starting this thread Tegan as I wanted to ask a question to.....At what age is a good time to start swimming lessons?I want to take Gemma asap.Shes 3 months next week.I know the local pool is starting lessons again in feb but Gemma will only be 5months.Is that an ok age?

Tegan - Hannah started swimming lessons at 5 months, and went underwater pretty much straight away. Apparently very young babies know instinctively not to breathe underwater (having come from a watery womb). The older kids in the class (1-2 years old) took a little longer to learn to go under, but the instructor was very patient with all of the kids and took them all at their own pace. Some still haven't ventured under the water, and others just took to it straight away. The main aim of the game is fun. We just sing songs and splash around getting the kids used to the water. The instructor is just as careful to make sure that the mums are ready for each activity and won't force going underwater if the mum is nervous. You could just go along to a lesson and watch the kids...

Kirsty - Kingaroy pool won't take them at 5 months, they're very strict about them being 6 months. I tried to get Hannah in there at the start of this swimming season (when she was 5 1/2 months) and they said we'd have to wait until the next season 'cos she wasn't 6 months yet. I take Hannah to the Nanango pool - it's all indoors (unlike the k'roy pool), and they take babies younger than 6 months. My whole mother's group comes along with me. They may even accept her at 3 months - one of the bubs in the mums group was 4 months when we started. Not sure though... It'd be worth asking anyway.

Kirsty77 Guest

Thanks for the info Juliette.If you don't mind me asking when do you go?What days and times do they have available at the nanango pool?I'm actually going back to work soon so I guess I'll have to try to work it on my days off.

Hannah and I go on Thursday afternoons at 2:30pm. I'm pretty sure they have baby classes on most days though. Hopefully one will fit in with your work!

Kirsty there a couple in QLD that take them from 3mths. Where exactly are you? I think they were on the gold coast, so not sure how far that is from you?

I am actually pretty terrified of this because of babies drowning all the time etc, just doesn't seem to click in my head how they can learn this at 1 years old is all.

Also I don't want to take her to some place that will force her to do things she isn't ready for. The first swimming lessons i went to when i was about 2 or 3 they made me go into the deep end of the big pool and i didn't want to and she damn teacher yelled at me to do it and i was crying and pulled me into the water. How nice. So my mum never brought me back. But yeah...

I can understand why you'd be terrified, given your experience when you were young.

I've never heard of a baby drowing during a structured, Austswim accredited swimming lesson. The drownings stats you're probably thinking of are babies who haven't had swimming lessons (and are unfamiliar with water and water safety), and who were unsupervised at the time of their drowning. Their are two recommendations for keeping children safe around water 1) familiarise them with water and teach them to swim from an early age and 2) always supervise them around water (no matter what volume). It is actually riskier not to teach them to swim. So try to think of it that way! Think of it as a safety measure rather than a risk.

Just make sure you go to a reputable organisation, ask them if they're austswim accredited. Talk to them about your fears, and hopefully they'll be more sensitive to you when you go to lessons.