thread: Swimming lessons - how long until you notice results?

Jan 2008
    Country Victoria

Swimming lessons - how long until you notice results?

I have enrolled my 4yo and 2.5yo in a joint weekly private swimming lesson, I started a lot later than I would have liked as we never had the facilities nearby, anyway today was only the second lesson so early days and they seem to love it but I am just curious to know how quickly your children progressed. Having my 11 month old to also watch and then baby due in February/March I am hoping that the big girls will have the skills that I will confidant to take them all swimming (with them playing in the toddlers pool) once baby arrives, what do you think?

2013 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.

Apr 2006
    Winter is coming

Not sure how long it takes to get the skills you are wanting, but my kids have never had swimming lessons and I can take all three to the toddler pool by myself. They are almost 5, almost 3 and 11 months. I would imagine that your older two would be fine by March.

Apr 2008
    Adelaide

Never done the toddler pool thing. My girls tend to make quick leaps in their swimming then might take a few months of seeming to get nowhere then within a week or two they seem to have mastered a new skill

I think I took about 3 months for them to become confident getting in the water without us

Jan 2008
    Country Victoria

My 2.5yo is pretty good, she understands risks etc so I don't have to watch her as closely but my 4yo is mildly disabled and is to over confidant, doesn't understand risks etc so watching her and my 11 month old who is walking is a little challenging at the moment.

I am hoping the lessons will make my 4yo capable of keeping herself out of danger if I am not at arms length.

Thank you Sararose in the water without you in 3 months, is that in the big pool with floaties or an instructor or alone?

Jul 2009
    Out North, Vic

DD1 has always been confident in water and in the toddler pool was ok to pick herself up if she fell over, DD2 didn't want a bar of it when i went with a friend but in lessons did quite well.
    She started in November so before she turned 2 and she has now finished the 1-2yr old level, skipped the 2-3 and the first level of toddler lessons and is in courage 2.
    Because she is under 3 i still have to be in the pool with her for lessons BUT as soon as she hits 3 i'm outta there.

Both of my girls can wear floaties and swim alone in the deep end, they can both use just a pool noodle to keep themselves afloat aswell.
    In the toddler pool though they don't use any floaties, just run around like nutters.

Also if your worried you can always let the life guard know you have multiple children and you may need them to wrangle one if they jump out of the pool etc, most of them are pretty nice about stopping a little runaway

I'm sure they will be fine hun.

Dec 2006
    In my own private paradise

DD was in the water with DH for the first few months, then "graduated" up a level, and within weeks, she is swimming (dog paddle) by herself with the instructor in the pool there with her.

i really think how quickly they will pick up the skills will be dependent on the kidlets - i would guess your 2.5 year old will pick it up quicker than the 4 year old - and maybe it might be worth looking at getting the 11 month old in there soon too.

DD is a very over confident little girl, but she has picked up the safety stuff more rapidly now that DH isn't in the pool with her - hopefully similar happens with your 4yo

Apr 2008
    Adelaide

Im sure you would have thought of this, but taking them now, on your own or with someone else, so they understand your rules at the'play' pool while you can chase after them might be an idea. If im not in the water the girls have to wear floaties or life vests JIC, not so I can be less attentive more so as an extra precaution.

Jan 2008
    Country Victoria

Yeah we go once a week but DH comes too. As the weeks go on I will likely be going alone. I will be starting my 11 month old also, I am hoping before the end of the year, I am just waiting to see how my juggling skills go and I am sure I will discovers way!

Novella, you made me think twice then, I had to look back to make sure I was talking to the same person

My 4yo does have a floaty swimsuit that we used to use but I haven't bothered with it at the indoor pool yet as I have DH there to help.

It sounds like things should be easier by Summer which is a lovely thought as we have an outdoor pool down the road (we drive 35mins to our indoor pool lessons)

Thank you for your replies.