Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tall 3yr old Girl

Default Tall 3yr old Girl

My 3yr old DD is 102cms and 17.6kgs. According to the charts this is tall. We quite often have people talking to her as if she was older. I was just wondering if anyone else has a tall child and did they have any trouble when they got to school?

I know this probably sounds stupid, but I'm paranoid that because she looks older people will forget how old she is and expect more from her.

Love

Hi Helen,

My beautiful neice is a tall 3 year old (she will be 4 in April, and I am not sure of her exact measurements, but she is tall and slim.) She is very advanced verbally and also incredibly well behaved. My SIL has got exactly the same concerns that you have, and we are all probably at fault of treating her like more of a 7 year old.

So I don't have any real suggestions to you, but I shall mention this post to my SIL and see if she has any great words of wisdom!

Thanks Lucy. Can I be a pain and ask what your neice's height and weight was at 3yrs old, if your SIL knows as DD has only just turned 3 and I couldnt find a comparison on the growth thread.

Many Thanks, oh and dont worry if you can't

Love

Custardtart Guest

Hi Helen,
    My oldest daughter is also very tall for her age - I'm sorry, I don't remember how tall she was at 3, but she has always been taller than her contemporaries. My husband is six foot, and one of his sisters is 5'11", so I think Christine is taking after their side of the family. This hasn't turned out to be any issue at all, in fact if anything, she has delighted in being treated as older than she is and has risen to the occasion. She's currently eight and could easily be mistaken for 10, and is always thrilled when people comment on how tall she is. It encourages her to walk tall and hold her head high - her posture is better than my younger daughter, who is actually a little petite for her age.

Being mistaken for a year older is a BIG thing with kids - remember back to when you were a child and "six and a HALF" and "I'm nearly seven" were very important phrases. She'll love it. If people think she's older, I'm sure she will correct them with glee, and they will revise their expectations to be age-appropriate.

In short - don't worry about it, take delight in how beautiful your daughter is, and encourage her - height is an advantage socially at a young age. If people talk to her above her level, she will advance more quickly verbally and you might even notice her using phrases that are 'beyond her years'.

Kerrie

i have the same problem with my son. He is 3 in a couple of weeks and is 108cm tall and weighs 26kg. The problem is that he is also a twin and his twin sister is 98cm tall and weighs 15kg -so there is a huge difference between them. However, its just him and I would rather he be too big than too small.

Mind you my twins were very small at birth as they wre prem, and the doctors told us that they expected his hight to eventually reach over 6ft 6inc as an adult. when they told us this he was 25cm long and weighed 1192 gramms. We looked at them like they were pulling our leg. Now we are more convinced.

I wouldn't worry as those charts were done in the 1970's for a breast fed child and kids are so much taller than their parents now.

good luck
    odette
    mum to ariel and immogen -5/12/2002 twins!

Thanks Kerrie and Odette, all of this makes me feel a lot better. And now that you say it, Bella is quite advanced verbally. But then again that could be because she is an only child, so far, who knows.

Yes, I definantly feel better, my beautiful tall angel will be fine, and anyway mummy and daddy are here to help her along the way.

I think she's got her dad's genes, I'm 5ft3 and he's 6ft3.

Love

While Matilda is only still young (17 months) She's always been at the top of the height charts. I just checked after I read this & she is now in the 97% for height. DH is 6'3" and I am 5'11" so I don't worry too much, but I hadn't thought before about people treating her as if she were older. We do have one problem with a friends 3 yr old who thinks Matilda is the same age as her because she is the same height, but other than that nothing yet.... hopefully we won't have to worry too much about that.

Like Matilda, Matthew is much younger then what your talking about, he`s 6.5 months and at his 6 month check up he was 73.5cms, and has been on the 97th percentile since birth. Even at his young age because he`s also on the 90th percentile for weight (has dropped from 97th) people assume he is older then what he is, so if they are assuming that now I should imagine it will continue. Wherever we go we get comments about his height.

Aidyn has always been at the top of the height and weight charts, although he hasnt been measured for a few months I think he is still way up there.
    Everywhere we go everyone comments on what a 'big' boy he is. And a few weekends ago I was at a family gathering where my cousins son was there (he is 8 months older than Aidyn) and Aidyn was even taller than him! So every single person just kept commenting on how big Aidyn was, and by the end I was getting rather annoyed actually. Cause I was thinking, yes he may be big and tall, but he's still very young, so please dont compare him to the other boy!

Although apart from that his height really doesnt bother me, and I have a feeling that the other boys will catch up to him eventually. As DP and I are above average in height, but not 'that' tall, so I cant see him still being a giant when he grows up.

Just measured Bella this morning and she is now 104cms and 17.2kg.
    Does it matter that she has lost weight as she has gotten taller? DH and I are just putting it down to being more active.

Love

Melinda Guest

I think that might happen a fair bit actually.......they can lose a bit of weight as they grow because they are so much more physically active.

I notice that you're in Hobart....what suburb are you in?

Thanks Melinda, DH and I thought as much.

We live in Claremont, where are you?

Love

My daughter is turning 4 in January and she's 104cms and has size 12 shoes- go figure.

Are you and your DH tall?

My DH and his family is tall. He's 6ft3 and is brothers although shorter than him are up there in height. I'm a short [email protected]#s, just 5ft3.

About the foot size, I guess no child can be placed into any category. Just as long as they are well looked after and happy, that's all that matters.

I know that I just worry that people will expect too much from her.

Love

Jack has always been tall. He was born at 57cms and has continued on the path!!! He is the tallest boy in his class although there is a girl in his class who is taller than he is. I don't know how tall Jack is now, actually I think I will do that on the weekend. He has had no problems and has always been mistaken for someone older. He loves the fact that he is taller than some of the kids in Year 2 and he is even more proud of the fact that he is almost as tall as one of the year 7 buddies!

Good luck I am sure she will be fine.

Cheers

My twins were always tall, and are often mistaken for 10 year olds ( they turn 7 tomorrow) DH is 6ft 4, Only time it peed me off was when they were behaving like 2 yr olds ( tanty's etc) and people commented how 4 yr olds should behave better, other than that its never been much of an issue, the only thing is now they're wearign size 10 clothes which are more "teenager" style I have trouble finding age appropriate stuff.

My 2 year old is the opposite and is tiny, and people are always saying how well developed her speech etc is, ahen its just normal.

My 4 month old is the size of a 6-7 month old, and ther is comments about this too, so I think people will always judge from their own experiences and not to worry what they say, just enjoy no matter what size you are....

Melinda Guest

I'm in Taroona, Helen!

Princess Mary territory Melinda. LOL

Love

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast