Thread: Tandem Prams, which do you recommend?

Default Tandem Prams, which do you recommend?

I will be having my second child in July. There will be only 13 months between my two babies. I am looking at purchasing a tandem pram for the two over a pram and toddler seat.
    I was just wondering out of those of you who have used a tandem pram before, which you recommend.
    I'm currently looking at the Bably Love tandem Like, the Graco Stadium Duo, The Valco Double Take Tandem and the Swallow Lite Limo.
    If anyone could tell me your experiences that would be great.

Hey mel

I have the Swallow Lite Limo - I wanted a limo pram because I mainly only use the double for shopping. It's good for that, it's really easy to manouever, fits in shops easily etc. The one complaint I have about it though is that it's not particularly sturdy. I've never had any hassles with it collapsing or anything drastic like that, but it just has a bit of a rickety feel to it IFYKWIM? But because I don't use it alot I can live with it.
    I'm finding I still use Emily's single pram alot and just put Toby in the HAB, but Charlie will still be a bit little to walk so you'll probably get a lot more use from your double - in which case I'd go for something a bit sturdier.
    HTH

I also swear by the phil & teds with toddler seat. It's not like other prams with toddler seats, both kids have proper seats and can be covered by sun & rain covers. I don't have both boys in there together very often yet as Tom is mostly in the sling, but when they are it works well. Soon they will both be in there more often.

Phil and Teds here too and there is also 13 months between my babies. LOVE the pram - best thing I've got.

Can the second child in a P&T see outside (or whats infront of them)?? I have major dilema at moment with prams/strollers. Find sophie wants to see where's she going (naturally). Is the P&T obstructing their view???

Lucie actually chooses to climb in the back seat of the pram! THere is only about 2kg diff between them though so the weight dist. is not a big problem. It's probably just the novelty of it at the moment and will wear off soon!

I have the Swallow Lite Limo and don't like it. If you have the heavier child in the front (which you have to do because the back seat is the only one that lies down) then pushing it up kerbs etc is a problem.

I also find that Alex used to put his feet on the front wheels all the time and it would affect the steering. I was also concerned about this when he was wearing sandals because I thought his feet might get caught.

Even with Alex in the back, when Ned was sitting up, was an issue. Alex is now 16kgs and Ned is 14.5 kgs and I can't use it anymore (Alex is 3.5 and Ned is 17 months) as it is too heavy with two kids in it.

It has also broken quite easily - the footstep thingy for the front seat bent within 2 months of having it. Scrapes etc show up very fast.

Just my experience with it. I wouldn't be buying it!

However, once your little one is sitting up, I found the absolute best side-by-side stroller was actually a bicycle trailer - the easiest thing you will EVER push in your ENTIRE life.

Pity I left it with the XH! Bugger!

i have the baby love one though have yet to use it but will soon - i looked at heaps of prams & found the front seat in this pram had the highest back so my toddler can go to sleep if she wants to - it also folds one handed & so light & very easy to steer

Melissa, that's the one that I'm heading towards, for the exact same reason. I'm glad someone else is thinking the same way. You didn't happen to notice, if the baby love capsule sits in the back seat area. I know it's not legal but that's what I'm planning on doing.

Mel,

This info is all based on my opinion, so may be diff to other's opinions

We've been looking at tandems too, as toddler seat ones i feel dont appear to be as stable, heavier, more awkward, usually 3 wheelers (wider,less stable), can't lay toddler seat down, backrests too low, some dont have canopies, so dont fold compact & wider. Dont want side by side as too wide for starters. Mine will be 16.5mths apart.

We're going to buy the BabyLove TandemLite, for the same reasons, it has the highest back, folds up the most compact (85cm long) so fits in our boot lengthways so room to put other stuff. $369 RRP, can get for $349. We have raincheck from Target for $279 (- further 5% discount, so $266), new stock coming in shortly. Found basket to be big but access to it very limited though.

Valco DoubleTake was too long when folded, but I like it too, apart from the lower backrest. $299.

MotherCraft Monterey wasn't as good a quality & low back rest & Holly couldn't sit far enough back in it as seat wasn't very deep. $199.

Childcare Rally Tandem (think thats what it was called, also at target) wasn't as good a quality either & folds up longer, think $300.

Haven't seen/tried the Graco Stadium Duo nor the Swallow Lite Limo.

Phil & Teds aren't even an option for us, as found to be all way way way too dear. $600-800 for E3.

Prams all tend to be expensive, heavy, big/awkward, there's always something that could be done to improve a model, but guess that's the same with lots of things, anyhow just my opinion.

Regards
    Shell

Sept07... ETA... I luv it, for all the reasons that i bought it, easy to steer too.
    Last edited by shell_l_d; September 21st, 2007 at 10:49 AM. Reason: To add my opinion after using the pram...