Thread: Teeth-cleaning refusal!

Melinda Guest

Default Teeth-cleaning refusal!

We are currently having huge issues with cleaning Jacob's teeth. He has never liked it, but now it's to the point where he hasn't had them cleaned for 3 weeks!!!

He used to copy DH with it a bit (he would clean his own a bit whilst DH cleaned his) or let DH clean them whilst he cleaned DH's IYKWIM. But now he just clamps his mouth shut and gets really upset.

I know he is teething.......cutting 2 y.o. molars which I think may be part of the reason he doesn't want the toothbrush in his mouth.......but this is getting out of hand and we're really worried about what this is doing to his teeth!!

Any suggestions are MOST welcome!

Have you tried rewarding him if he does clean his teeth? Kind of like when toilet training?

Sorry I am not too much help.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Mel, do you always brush teeth together? I guess a main thing to think about is not to make it a big deal or he'll only get more defiant. We'll have to brainstorm some ways of making it fun... there's lots of little things you can do, I have to head out soon but off the top of my head:

* Make it a race / set an egg timer and see who can brush teeth the best in two minutes
    * Make it a game / funny faces in the mirror
    * Brush a toy's teeth first
    * Buy a new, fun toothbrush
    * Try and electric toothbrush, Ris LOVES hers

Can't think right now!!
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

A friend of mine had the same issue with teeth brushing - the advice she was given was not to push the point and eventually her daughter came around. I agree, try an electric tooth brush and see how it goes. With Mackenzie I give her her toothbrush when she is reading a book in the mornings (loves reading) and she kind of does it even if she is chewing on the bruch its no big deal, at least she has some paste and a tooth brush in her mouth, sometimes she brushes well other days I'm sure she just sucks the toothbrush off but I'm not too worried at this stage. Good luck.

Melinda Guest

Thanks for your suggestions everyone!

Unfortunately we've tried an electric toothbrush on two separate occasions now and he totally freaks out about it. It's even a Winnie The Pooh one (he loves his Pooh Bear) but no.......he loses the plot over it.

We're onto our third or fourth kind of toothbrush to see if that makes a difference too, but unfortunately that hasn't helped either.

We might have to try brushing a toy's teeth or doing the funny face in the mirror trick I think......I'm starting to seriously panic about tooth decay!

Melinda Guest

Well I can definitely vouch for cleaning a toy's teeth first! SUCCESS!!! YEE HAA!!!

Thank you Kelly!!

Yay well done!

Debbie Lee Guest

Ooo I may have to try that too... though I'm not sure Gabby would 'get it' quite yet (a bit young). But we can only try!
    Mel... I just started a new thread about exactly the same thing (here)! Do you get the feeling that Gabby is copying Jacob somehow??

Fletch eating an apple is great for teeth because it cleans the surfaces and it also massages the gums which really helps to reduce gum disease.

Also, apparently eating cheese after a meal/snack, especially after sugary stuff, is supposed to neutralise the acid and help prevent tooth decay. I always try to give Kynan a piece of cheese after he has fruit as a snack for that reason.

Melinda Guest

Oooh that's a clever tip Angel!

Debbie Lee Guest

If only Gabby would eat apple that isn't pureed.... painful child!! LOL

She does do cheese (so long as it is grated!) so I will keep that in mind!