Thread: Teething, Fever and Panadol

Default Teething, Fever and Panadol

My 15 month old is teething at the moment; two top molars half cut through the gum, and two bottom teeth (not the middle two as he already has those ones, but the next two on either side) that are getting close to cutting the gum.

He's been getting a bit of a fever the last couple of days due to it and I've been giving him Panadol and it brings it down without any troubles.

I'm just wondering if you should give Panadol for even a mild fever, or if you can just leave it and see how it goes? I know Panadol is really safe, but tend to try to avoid taking it myself, so don't love it when I'm giving DS dose after dose. But I also don't want to not give it if that's the best thing.

Oh, and when I say "mild fever" I'm talking about 37.4ish...

I personally would let him ride it out. If he seems hot and uncomfortable perhaps some cold wash cloths on the back of his neck?

fever itself is not anything to be concerned about so there is not really any reason to give panadol for a fever unless the child is unsettled.

Noting that your DS is also teething, I would anticipate that the fever is a result of the pain caused by the teething. Fever is a perfectly natural response to pain. The reason his fever is likely to be coming down is because you're treating his pain.

HTH

MG

Yeah, I wouldn't use it with such a mild temperature.

I generally wouldn't use panadol for mild fever unless they seemed in pain or discomfort or just not their usual self. I asked the dr what temp should you give panadol and was told 39! If the fever goes on for more than a couple of days I'd probably take him to the dr just to check there's nothing else going on.

Oh the poor little thing... Elijah has been getting those same teeth lately too... he got the top 2 and bottom 2 next to the middles ones, the top 2 molars and 1 bottom molar with the 2nd almost through... this is about a month/6 wks of teething. I have a suggestion that I swear has helped.... amber teething necklace... google baltic amber teething necklace. I've used panadol in conjunction with it only about 3 times and that was when he seemed to be really bothered by them. He had a terrible time of teething with his first two teeth and then I got the necklace and he's really been a different bub with teething since. The thing I love too, it's all natural

Hmm, I think BB just ate my response, so I'll write it again and hope that two posts don't appear Apologies in advance if I repeat myself hehe.

Thank you all for your responses. It's good to know that it's ok to leave a mild fever and just keep monitoring it. I didn't give DS any panadol until just before his bed time, and I gave it then because he seems more bothered by the pain at night, and also because his temp isn't monitored as often during the night.

Cass, DS has on one of the teething necklaces and I can't remember the last time we took it off. People ask me if it helps and I have to tell them that I honestly don't know because we put it on him before he ever started teething, and it's been on ever since. I also tell them though that I have heard so many good reports that I am too scared to ever take it off! Lol!

Lol... people ask me the same!!! All I know is he was horrid for his first 2 teeth and been waaaaaaaaaay much better since, so I can only assume taht YES it helps.... and NO I haven't taken it off to test cos I'm too scared too...lol. I've been asked if I've taken it off and I respond... ummm do I look that stupid I ain't testing it!!!! lol. I have 2 friends who have bought them for their kiddies and one of them swears by it, the other well her little one hasn't teethed yet. I have heard too that for some kids another one on their ankle and/or wrist helps when it's really bad.