Thread: Teething - Molars - Not eating??!! Help please

Default Teething - Molars - Not eating??!! Help please

Gussyboy is cutting three of his four molars at the moment. These are the first of his teeth that seem to have really bothered him coming through. He has completely gone off food and is only taking very small amounts of milk. Is this a common side effect of teething?

He's such a poor eater at the best of times, but at the moment its really really bad. He's barely eaten in almost 6 days. I'm really starting to feel quite anxious, nauseous and teary about it all. He is sooooo small he can't afford to lose any weight. Two weeks ago he weighed 6.4kg (which for his age is appalling!) and he's definitely lost weight in the past fortnight. He's sleeping ok - perhaps a little more than normal, and is very clingy at the moment - wanting to be held all the time. Poor little bubba is so thin he's looking really skeletal. We had him in the baby pool last night and my DH and I were teary watching how thin he is. I'm having him weighed today and we're pretty scared to see the result.

Is it "normal" to go off your food when cutting molars? If so what did you do to get "food" into your bubbas while this was happening. He won't even eat his "favourite" foods.

Hi Kirsty,
    I too have a little fussy eater, and i tell you its not fun when they are teething! I found Zhai ate nothing but biscuits, and i gave him lucozade drink to keep his vitamins and minerals up. I know it is a frustrating time, but soon they will come up.
    Are you sure its just his teeth? Could there be another problem aswell? Does he have dihorrea? Temprature?
    Also when he does start eating again, try not to stress about his weight as much, Zhai only weighs 11kgs and he is 2y 1m. Lately he has been eating like there is no tomorrow. My dr said, it doesnt matter what they eat as long as they put on some weight, as Zhai doesnt eat meat or vegies... (yes fussy!)
    Hope that helps!
    Jenni

Yep Zander did the same thing. We just gave him things he didn't need to chew much - mashed potato, pasta, pumpkin, really really soft boiled carrot, soft fruits like banana, peach, rockmelon etc. It is very hard, but it shouldn't take too long befor they are actually out.

Good luck

Ahh gotta love these fussy eaters. Kirsty I can HIGHLY recommend the book 'My Child Won't Eat' available throu ABA's Mother Direct. I can lend you my copy if you like? Gus will be ok. Lucie is exactly the same!

Thanks girls. Yesterday I saw the child and family health centre nurse, spent several hours with a tresillian nurse at the day stay clinic and then saw our gp last night. Also spoke on the phone with our speechie and paed. All are confused by F's behaviour. He literally won't eat anything and only took 300mls of fluids yesterday. Aghhh.... needless to say he's losing weight rapidly. Hopefully something will change soon. If he has lost a lot more weight by tomorrow when we see the gp for another bare weigh in, our paed wants us to take him into the ER.

Thanks for the book suggestion Sophie. Will see if I can track it down at our local library or failing that order a copy from the ABA.