Thread: TEMPERATURE

Default TEMPERATURE

HI
    I have a 18 week old baby who has the flu, he is on antibiotics and I have just checked his temo and it is 35.7. That is low I think, I really have no idea and hoping for some advice? Should I be worried? As I believe normal is between 36.2 and 37.2.

Thanks
    Julie

Yes, 35.7 is low.

Did you take it twice, and what sort of thermometer did you use?

Normal is 36.8, not sure how much either side, but probably only .1 or .2

I would ring the childbirht unit at your hospital or the maternal child health 24hour line.

You are supposed to add a half a degree when you take it under the arm my doctor said. This is because the underarm temp is about .5 lower than the rectal which is more accurate. Check with your nurse or GP just to be sure

Hi,
    My sons temperature was up and down like a yo-yo when he was a newborn and he was never sick! It is so hard to tell using a thermometer, as it is so hard to get an accurate reading, i would say that they are just a guide.
    Go with your gut feeling - always, and see the doctor if you are concerned, or just call out your locum for a more acurate assessment You can never be too careful.
    Best of Luck

I'm a childrens nurse, and i wouldn't be terribly worried if one of my patients had a temp of 35.7 - but obviously you're the mummy and if you're concerned I would take your little one to the doctor.

Don't let anyone make you feel bad about caring for your child! You're doing the right thing by asking questions, so good for you.

Hope all works out well for you. \/

Hi Girls

Thank you all for your support, I ended up taking him to the doctor and they said they were not worried but as you say better to be safe than sorry!!!

Jules