Thread: temperature question

Colleen Guest

Default temperature question

hi..

quick question. I always thought that in regards to temps 37 was when you should sorta start to worry ( if you know what i mean..)

But another person just said 36 is not good, well jaykob is on 36.5 right now and not a happy camper...

Anyone know if teething causes a temp? I might sound like a complete dumbo for not knowing but at least I will after this hahaha

Thanks in Advance

Colleen

36.5 is a normal body temp. I normally don't stress till the kids hit 39c, and yes teething can cause fevers

Love

Also with temps, what can a doctor do ? It can be a sign of infection or something, can't it ? The times I've taken Cait to the docs with a temp and/or cold, all they say is fluids, rest and panadol.

Barb.

Custardtart Guest

Unless they can prove a bacterial infection with a temperature, the advice you will receive is just that - rest, fluids and pain relief. Follow your instincts and take him in to the doctor if you are sure something is really wrong, but normal processes such as teething do cause temperatures and you shouldn't be too worried unless you notice a number of other symptoms that alarm you.
    Just for the record, teething can also upset the digestive system and cause diarrhoea as a common side-effect.

Kerrie

Colleen Guest

thanks everyone!

i called the hotline on this one recently and they said if above 38.5 to give baby panadol to see if it brings it down, if goes above 39 to see a doctor. if above 39 is combined with other symptoms such as coughing, not eating or anything else, the emergency dept is best bet.

Colleen Guest

Thanks Min....

Hopefully this will be good reference for anyone else who searches for it too coz i searched the forum & couldnt find a thing!

Default reply

Honey, I wouldn't worry Nyah went up to 40 when she was teething?

Worry if he starts going past 37.

The first time Cait went off food, I can't remember when .. under one I think, I rang my sister in law (a nurse with four children who have had every ailment ever invented) and asked her about it and she said when her kids were sick, they often didn't eat properly for a week !

Barb.

I have had 2 babies who have had febrile convulsions, (convulsions caused by fever). So I am pedantic about temperature. If my kids are 37.5 or higher I give panadol and over 38 I also strip the clothes off. It is a scary thing to see them do and I so don't want it to happen to the younger two, not that I can stop it if the temp goes up really fast but I try.... so far Jemma hasn't had one and she is over 2 so that's a good sign that she won't but I still am wary about Jessica.

Cheers Michelle

I have heard that anything above 37.2 (and below 38) is a low grade fever...
    Aidyn gets temps from teething ALL the time. There was a period where he had low grade fevers nearly every day for over a month! (and we werent able to find any other cause, except for teething)

If he has a really high temp, and seems to be in a heap of pain from the teething I will give him Nurofen for baby - I find it actually works much better than Panadol for him. However I only give it if he is extremely bad...

Colleen Guest

thanks heaps for that ambah...

Jaykob is really quite upset, ive been using panadol & his bubblegum teething gel (amcal )... but still awake @ 11.30pm... im trying to comfort him with an extra feed and big cuddles but he seems to cry & feed at the same time.... poor lil bugger!

he has both front teeth, one is thru & we didnt really have any hassles with it but the one next to it is half way popped thru & killing him...

I wish I could do more

Does Jaykob use dummies?
    Another trick I use is to put Aidyns dummies all in the freezer... he loves frozen dummies - will usually stop the crying instantly. I have to swap them over every few minutes though, so he always has a cold one, but sometimes this is enough to calm him down and get him off to sleep.
    Or you could try giving him a bottle of icy water to suck/chew on?

Colleen Guest

thanks for the tips...

I will give it a shot, although Jaykob has rejected his dumm since I can remember & wont take a bottle, but i will try some icy water in his sipper cup....

Thanks... ive said it before but this place is so fast to reply... its awesome!! hehe

Custardtart Guest

The only time my kids ever used a dummy was when they were teething, and they'd spit it out after they were asleep.
    If you want the cold sensation to last a bit longer, you can buy teething rings that are filled with a gel that freezes, they'll stay cold for about 30 mins so it's easier to cycle two in and out of the freezer. Our local pharmacist used to stock them, I imagine they are still around.

Kerrie

Hi Colleen,

I am just wondering how little Jaykob is doing... I hope you have both been able to get some rest. Teething can be such a terrible time!

I need to have a look for those gel filled teething rings too... we have a similar one, but its only for the fridge, so it doesnt stay cold for very long...

Colleen Guest

Hey Ambah

well he seems to have come good, the second tooth seems to have fully 'broken' through now, so its not as painful I hope...

The joys of teething!!!

My prob now is I cant get him to take formula... but maybe i should start a new topic lol

He keeps clamping down on me and OMG it hurts, the thing was I was planning on weaning him onto the bottle at six months and I started trying at around 5mths to intro a bottle but soon as he gets the taste BANG screamfest!!!

So im not sure what Im going to do perhaps I will start a thread ? I have been searching alternatives but not much luck... its all fun & games... the joys!!!

(thanks for checking up too, very thoughtful!!)