Thread: Thermometers for bub - HELP pls!

Sal Guest

Question Thermometers for bub - HELP pls!

Hi there,

As DS is 4 months old, I figured it's time I stopped relying on bub's good health and get a thermometer for him. I've just been to the three chemists in my area and I got different advice at each one.

I'd like to know what sort of thermometer you got and whether you are happy with it and think it's value for money.

One of the chemist ladies told me not to bother spending $100 on the Braun ear thermometer, as the cheaper ear ones are just as good (Samsung, Omron, Surgicare). But actually she said that unless bub is a sickly baby then I'd only need to take his temp a couple of times a year, so perhaps just get a real cheapy one (not an ear one).

Your input much appreciated please!

Sal, I have the Omron thermometer and think they really are worth buying even though you might only use it a couple of times a year.

Think I purchased it when DD was a year or two old? Can't quite remember now, but found it useful for when she was ill and not having to disturb her sleep by putting a thermometer under her arm.

Nic

Forgot to add, you may find it useful for when Miles is teething and grizzly, not wanting to stay still while you take his temp another way.

I just got one of the under arm ones... and now I regret not getting one of the ear ones. It was fine to use for the first year of Aidyns life, but now he flatly refuses to let us take his temp, and stuggles like crazy trying to get it from under his arm... its literally impossible for us to take it now... hopefully he'll grow out of this stage soon though.

Sal I got the Bruan one, the lady didn't reccomend, but it's FANTASTIC and IMO so worth the $100, it's really accurate, but that's mt opinion only, but I got it when Nyah was sick as a bubba also and I love it.

Well you got an essay now LOL

Sal Guest

Hmmm so I've decided on the ear-type ones (thanks Ambah, I wasn't projecting forward to when Miles is able to squirm big-time!). I guess now I just wonder whether the extra $30 is worth paying for for a Braun. I was told by the chemist lady that Braun are more accurate, but she's probably working on commision

Keep the advice coming!

mooshie Guest

hi there

i have had the braun thermoscan for around 18mths now, and i so wish i had it with my first two way better than taking temp under the arm with a squirmy bub or toddler. it is also so quick and sometimes if one of my kids are sick and when i check on them at night if they feel warm a quick buzz with the thermometre gives me the temp and they stay asleep - gotta love that.

oh and i got my braun thermoscan for aroun $70 hunt around cause they are quite often on special and not only chemists stock them, from memory i think kmart and myer do.

I have a under the arm one & have had it since Maddy was born, I never had a problem with her letting me take her temp, infact now she grabs it herself to see if she has a fever... she never does but she likes to know how 'hot' she is!!!!

I bought an ear thermometer off ebay. Works really well, is quick and accurate and only cost me $20 including postage. You can even get your brand name ones on there so I would do a quick search on ebay too.

They are soooo much easier to use and now when Talia feels sick she asks me to get the "temperature" out to see if she is sick lol Hope you find one for cheap and can spend the extra on something special for mum or bubs.

Sal, I do remember hearing that the Braun ones are a bit more accurate than the others. When I went to buy mine, they had sold the last Braun one so I had to get the Omron...bummer!

Nic

We have the 'in the ear' one, can't remember what brand off the top of my head. It was given to us as a baby shower present - best present ever! I use it all the time - if Mackenzie is grizzly I just take her temp to be sure everything is in order (process of eilmination).