Thread: Those born in December

Default Those born in December

Hey girls,
    as some of you may know Wato and I are ttc again! Well last cycle ended in af, and I was thinking of sitting this cycle out. I am a little worried about having a baby in December before christmas. I spoke to Wato about it and he doesn't really care, which makes me think I am being silly!

If I did ttc this cycle my edd would be around the 4th of Dec (knowing me I will go over).

So those of you with December children, or are December children yourselves, am I being silly? Does it all get too much before chistmas? If you are the december child, do you think you missed out at all?

Thanks

Tanya

I have a sister born Dec 8th, and I am sure I never thought she was missing out. Pesky older sister getting it all.
    And I was always jealous cause she could have fresh strawberries on her cake. (being in NZ where strawbs are only around for 3 months a year......)

Seems silly - but it was tough having a winter brithday where you could never go to the pools, have outdoor parties, wear pretty summer dresses..... You know the drill.

Just my 10c being a july baby and all.

Tanya - Mark is a December Baby his birthdate is the 7th Dec, he has never missed out, his Mum has always spoilt him and now I spoil him just as much but on the other hand Mark`s Dad was born on 27th December and his parents would not give him a Birthday Present as he had Christmas 2 days before, I think this is just disgusting it was not his fault they conceived when they did to have him born on 27th December. Mark`s sister is another December baby - 29th again she doesn`t get missed out at all.

I think a Birthday is a Birthday no matter what day it falls on children/adults should have their special day.

I miust admit it is awkward to work out Birthday and Christmas Present plus Anniversary present for Mark all within 7 weeks of each other but I get there in the end with a lot of thought of what to buy.

Thanks girls... I think the closer to Chrissy the worse... My sis is on the 25th... and sometimes people just plain forget it's her birthday being on chrissy day. My MIL is the 23 and she gets the same thing... everyone is just too busy...

If I ttc the cycle after my edd would be around new year... dunno if that is better or worse :-k

Tanya

Tanya you may remember that my birthday is the 29th December and it sucks! Its like all your fun for the year is over in a few days. It may seem that you get alot but it is chrissy and birthday in one.

It's not just the present thing. When they get older it is the celebration of it too - noone is interested or forgets. Restaurants are shut (well my favs are), everyone is too full, too broke or too tired to go anywhere...

:wave:

My daughter was born 15th December 2005 and to be honest, at first I kept thinking Oh no Im due at Christmas, but I soon got over that in and all I cared about was that I had a healthy little baby girl. That was the most important thing.

Mind you I sure am glad I was due in December, and not heavily pregnant in summer. I personally have no tolerance for heat and dont know how I would have coped being due in February!

So every due date has its pro's and cons in my opinion.

But regardless, a healthy baby is more important than a prime birth date.

I'm a Dec 6th bday, my sister is the 5th, my mum the 20th and my brother the 29th. Now I've gone and added Madeline on the 24th!

I dont think having a early Dec bday is bad, I just hated that I basically shared my bday with my sister every year iykwim?

Maddy on the other hand; well we're gonna give her a faux birthday! *L* Somewhere in February probably so she can still partake in birthday cakes on her 'special day' at school etc; otherwise she'll always miss out.

I had also been 'warned' by my grandmother not to have a December baby (before I fell) pregnant as she has something like 25 relatives all born in December. I just honestly believe that Maddy was meant to be and she was born when she was meant to be.

Kate (Gemini) also makes a good point about being grateful that you're not pregnant during the worst of Summer. I think I'd be going insane right now if I was due any day!

I totally agree with Beck, your baby will be born when it's "meant " to be. We really have no say in when our babies come (I believe) that they choose us and they choose their time!!
    All of us December buddies were really excited that we were getting such a great chrissy present!! To me December is the most exciting time of year anyway, and is now even more so that we have December bubs!!
    Also my SIL is Dec 27 and every year she gets a separate party on that day, so she celebrates Christmas, boxing day then b'day !! It's heaps of fun!!
    xoxo

With Lily my due date was Dec 4th but i went over a week so Lily's b'day is 2 weeks before xmas. I don't think she'll be missing out on anything. We've decided to get her a present for each instead of having it in one like some people do as i don't think that's very fair. It was also nice not having to go through summer pregnant.

My Mum was born on Dec 28 and hated it as a kid as being back in the late 40's early 50's and only having her own mother at home she used to get 1 shoe for xmas and 1 for her birthday as money was so tight. Now we all make sure we pile into her house for morning tea or lunch the day of her birthday

My brother was born Dec 15 and dont think he was ever hard done by with his b/day 10 days before xmas. I guess with mum going through what she did, she didn't want her firstborn to suffer the same fate.

I must admit though if I was pregnant I'd prefer an early dec baby to a late dec baby.

Love

I think it is all in how YOU treat it. Some people sound like they may have missed out but it is all about what you do to celebrate their birthday.

My DD's birthday is 23/12 and I was inititially horrified at the thought, but we have gotten around it by celebrating it early each year. My birthday is mid November so we aim to have a double celebration each year (easier for me too!) and that way there is a break between her birthday celebrations and christmas and she can still have a party with her school friends when older. Everyone seems to understand and no-one minded that we celebrated early in fact I think all the reles were glad as Dec is such a busy time of the year.

Good luck ttc anyway!

Fi,
    I am the same hate having a July b'day... No cool winter clothes, just tracky dacks & winter woolies...
    I wish I was a summer kid...

Colleen Guest

Ah i have a july birthday and it sucks!

Jaykob was due Xmas Day, but arrived 10 days early... bdays are what you make them so I had a great day for Jaykobs 1st bday and i will make sure its that way every year, we even hold out on the tree til after his bday so the focus is on him...

My birthday is the 15th December and you know I have never even really thought about it being an issue! I always had a great birthday and parties with my friends when I was young. I really don't think it matters.

Wow girls, what great responses...

I think you have thoroughly convinved me that I am being silly!! :)

Thanks heaps

Tanya

jcm73 Guest

Hi. Just to add my 2 cents worth, Molly was born on 30/12/03 and Ruby was born 8/12/05. To make things even more ridiculous, I had Christmas at my house last year (a week out of hospital) for 25 people, and then 5 days later I had most of them back again for Molly's 2nd birthday party. I think that no matter when your baby's birthday is, you're going to make something of it anyway - its not what other people are prepared to do for you (or with you when you get older) its about how your family treat the day. I was determined that Molly's 2nd birthday was going to be huge because Ruby had just been born, and everyone was fussing over her. I wanted to make sure that Molly's special day was just for her, even though her little sister was only 3 weeks old.

Bottom line for us, I wouldn't balk at the birth dates of my children because I nearly didn't get each one of them. I had surgery during Molly's pregnancy to have a tube and ovary removed, and an ectopic pregnancy just prior to conceiving Ruby, so Ruby might not have happened either. You just have to take what you get, and be thankful that you have a baby that is healthy and well-loved, no matter when it arrives.

I wouldn't give back my December babies, and I wouldn't wish a different date on either one of them. Decembers are just going to be very busy for me, but I love birthdays (my own is still my favourite day of the year) and so I'm going to make something of both girls' birthdays every year, as well as Christmas.

Best of luck TTC'ing - whenever you decide to go for it.....