Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: For those who chose NOT to use a dummy...

Cool For those who chose NOT to use a dummy...

hey Guys,

Id love to hear from those of you who chose not to have a dummy with your baby.

Please tell me good and bad stories...and anything else relevant.

thanks

I didn't choose not to use a dummy with Imran he just doesn't like them

One of mine chose not to have a dummy, but is now a thumbsucker, but just for sleeping.

Fee Guest

I've never been a fan of dummies and did not want to use them. But in the early weeks we got a bit desperate at times and tried one with Cooper but he never liked it! I was secretly pleased - LOL.

Not sure what other stories to tell you...!

Basically, I dont want my baby to have a dummy. Not because I dont want him to be comfortable and soothed...I just dont want him to become addicted to it-- and become accustomed to crying JUST for the dummy and no other reason iykwim?

My niece was so used to having her dummy put in everytime she cried or made a noise for that matter, and even at age 4, yes 4!!, it was such a huge struggle to take it off her.

So basically I am after good stories on other ways of comforting a child. I am breastfeeding so I hope that is just as good as a dummy.

danni, good for you not wanting a dummy. I didn't want Nina to have a dummy either. But one night my mum gave her one when she was unsettled, and DH saw how it soothed her and he kept giving it. Now she won't settle without it! She loves it so much that as soon as she sees it she HAS to have it and plays and talks to it. A bit like your niece I suppose.

Sorry, I know you want stories from people who haven't used a dummy, but I reckon if you can go without it, go for it. I'll be working on getting rid of Nina's in the next couple of weeks.

We used a dummy with our eldest and finally got it weaned at 2.5 yrs. My other 2 sons were never interested, both spent time in SCU and they used them there but not at home..

IMO don't offer and baby won't want one. They won't know what they are missing

I never really needed to use a dummy at the beginning and by the time i did need one she refused it. I think there are good and bad points to them. The hard part was for a few months I was the dummy cause i had breasts and that got quite tiring cause at one point she was on them nearly every hour. Buy a couple just in case you need to use them and maybe limit the use to unsettled times rather than giving them to sleep with.

They won't know what they are missing
    exactly my point! My dh wants a dummy though...so I have to make sure I dont have any laying around where he can find them hehe.

maybe limit the use to unsettled times rather than giving them to sleep with.
    I'd be happy to use this as a last resort and really limit dummy time.

thanks guys, this is helping a lot

Thanks Sharleen!

Thanks so much Shan. I totally agree with everything you said. I will go into motherhood with an open mind on everything JIC.

I wont feel like a failure if he NEEDS a dummy..I would just prefer if he doesnt have one.

Thanks so much....I think I will buy ONE and hide it somewhere..

i think it depends on how long the child thumb sucks for. My step sister sucked her thumb for years and years behind her mothers back, as did her brother. They have both pushed their front teeth so far forward its beyond repair

Lindys Guest

Great thread! I was also one of those who had ingrained thoughts about dummies being inherintly bad! I never intended to use them but they also ended up being my lifesaver when my twins were born and were often unsettled. Even though I breastfed it was impossible to have them both constantly using me for comfort, so I relented and my boys were much happier. I also saw it as something to be embarrassed about and tried to hide them from photos!! I must admit now that at 19 months they still have a dummy addiction and I am a little anxious as to how and when I will be able to take them away successfully- especially with a new bub on the way (who hopefully won't need one, but you never know what is going to work I guess). Reading this has made me feel a little better though :-)

I was thumbsucker until really late and my teeth are really very straight and even but the thumb I sucked is quite flat and longer than the other one lol.

I didn't want to use a dummy for Harrison... I hadn't bought any either... but because he was born with a TT, and he has a small mouth, I was advised that using a dummy could help... I was open to all suggestions and I think that the dummy has helped him with his sucking.

abs Guest

we never used a dummy, but Jordy has now taken to sucking on a bib, basically against his lips. Sounds funny through his monitor

Danni, neither of my boys have used a dummy. I never wanted to use one, so was glad Jack had no interest. His comfort mechanism was twirling his hair. Tom was more unsettled when he was younger so I admit I did try him on quite a few occassions. But he just wouldn't keep it in his mouth (secretly I'm pleased about this). And now he self-settles easily BUT his thing is thumb sucking. I definitely have mixed feelings about this, but have decided to go with the flow for the moment.

I recommend that you try patting them for a while first, give them a chance to find the thing that helps them self-settle. I have also used the sling on numerous occassions to settle Tom to sleep, then put him down. Other will say that will stop him being able to fall asleep on his own, but actually it has had the opposite effect on him. He goes to sleep easily on his own (usually, but not always, sucking this thumb). If these things don't work, then I would try breast or dummy to settle.

lotusmamma Guest

We didn't want to use one so we never bought one in the first place and never thought of using one when we had any problems so we never missed them. If bub was sucky I found a sling invaluable because they could stay on me all day if they wanted to. Sometimes my nipples had had enough so dh would let them suck on his finger. None of my three are thumb suckers or have any other kind of comforter that they are attached to. I was told that I was letting them use my breast as a dummy but that never made sense to me since a dummy is a breast substitute. I heard of a good rule of thumb for dummies or any other kind of baby accessories - ask yourself if you are using it to meet your baby's needs or to avoid meeting your baby's needs and if the former then you can't go wrong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast