Thread: For those who do feed, play, sleep

Question For those who do feed, play, sleep

Do you feed on demand?
    What do you do if bubs only has a little nap? Would you feed again as soon as they wake up, or hold them off a little longer (I mean, if it's only been an hour or so since you last fed.)

i resettle the bubs if they have sleep for less than 1 hour.

I would feed on demand rather than to a schedule. Ella is now 3 months but when she first came home we use to feed (10mins) play (10-15mins) and sleep (30mins).

Having said that Ella uses a dummy to sleep so when she wakes i put the dummy in to see if she is hungry or just wants to suck to go back to sleep. This helped extend a few sleeps. Now a days i feed every 2hrs but most of the time its every 3hrs.

Ann

If your baby is happy I wouldn't feed. Otherwise there mightn't be enough time for sufficient milk for the next feed xo

Olivia Guest

I try to stretch out ...so there's enough milk ...we have a cuddle. I am having issues with day sleeps not going longer than 45 mins ...he is already a whopping 6.5 kg at 10 weeks so I can't feed him all the time ...a bit of dummy, a bit of play, and I try to keep to 2 hours ...if I can, if I can't ..oh well.

I also used to try and resettle. Ella took a dummy so usually that would do the trick. If not i'd try and hold her off as long as possible so there was 3 hrs between feeds.

I fed on demand and for my DS feed,play,sleep was a load of crap till he was at least 3 months old - if I tried to play with him after feeding (in fact, do ANYTHING with him) other than just letting him go straight back to sleep, he would crack it. He pretty well ate and slept for the first 3 months. Pretty boring really - making up for it now though LOL!!

The play in this house is very short. Normally if he has been up for an hour with feeding and nappy etc during the day, I resettle him. If he wont resettle, I'll give a bit more boobie off the same side I just fed from - so just a top up. Then when he wakes I will normally feed if its been an hour or so.
    Its hard to tell when they are hungry, and when they are tired - but from experience (a very chucky baby!!) I'm learning slowly not to overfeed

For the first 3 months our eat play sleep was a little bit over the place, she wanted to comfort feed alot and sometimes have short naps othertimes have long naps. Wasn't really til 3.5 month mark that we fell into a real eat, play, sleep routine.
    I'd say just to demand feed, if bubs wants it, it will also help build up a good supply.
    I found the easiest thing to do in the first few months was just go with the flow of what Ashleigh wanted and did whatever worked for her to keep her settled.

Thanks for your thoughts/experiences.
    I'll try not to worry about it until she's a bit older.

NewmumLou Guest

I always fed Josh on demand. He usually just wanted to be topped up inbetween feeds about 30ml or so and he was a happy little man again. As he got older i gave him water in between feeds and this seemed to do the trick, most the time they are just thirsty due to the weather!