Thread: Thowing food on the floor?!

Default Thowing food on the floor?!

How do I stop my 13 month old from throwing food on the floor. I am teaching her baby sign and she knows how to say "finished" and if I ask her if she is finished she does the sign, but I don't want her to throw food on the floor. Smacking her on the hand is breaking my heart and doesn't seem to be working. Nor does saying (and doing the sign for) no. Is it something that they just do at this age? Will she just grow out of it, or do I need to teach her not to do this ... if so ... how?????

Thanks

DD2 is 16 months and still does this - she thinks it's fun and it is a developmental phase. To dela with it I just remain calm and ask her to keep her food on her plate to reinforce that that is what she should be doing. If she is finished she will say "out" to get down from the table so I let her down if she has had enough.

It does stop and they do grow out of it. You will just have a messy floor for a while until that happens.

It's an age thing. No matter how much I tried to stop my kids from doing it, they just kept throwing thier food on the floor. At 13 mths they don't understand food doesn't go on floors and it's probably fun.

In the end I used to have a plastic mat under the high chair. It made life easier.

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

DS1 is 2 and still chucks food on floor!!

He even tips all his food of plate onto table and then eats it!! Very frustrating.

I read somewhere that throwing things (including food) on the floor is a totally normal developmental stage. They apparently like to see what happens when something is in their hand and then not. I'm not explaining it very well and can't even remember where the heck I read it, so I'm probably not being very helpful.

But what I am trying to say is that it's normal and even healthy to do that - but annoying for you having to clean it up all the time!!
    Sue x

Yes, loads of kids do it, and it's normal.

I would keep going with signing "no" and "finished" When she is finished, get her to help you clean it up. Get the dustpan, and hold her in front of you as you clean it up, or get her to pick up bits and pop them in the dustpan/compost/whatever. It's what i do with the Toddlers I work with, and the "game" of cleaning up gets old really quickly. But it does teach them to take responsibility for their actions.

And gosh, she's looking gorgeous and just like you! Cute!

DS is 12months and has been doing this for about 2 weeks.
    I know it's totally normal but I've been trying to encourage him not to do it by
    - telling him "no" firmly (doesn't work. at. all. Lol)
    - ignoring him (also didn't work)
    - catching him before he does it and gently pushing his hand back over the tray on his highchair and saying "no, eat it please". Which actually seems to be kinda working! He's still doing it but after I redirect his hand a couple of times he does actually eat what he's holding. Then he picks up the next piece and it starts all over again .

Good luck, I hope this phase passes quickly for both/ all of us. I'm so sick of throwing away perfectly good food, only to have him try and steal mine and throw that on the floor too.

It is very frustrating i know hun but like the other girls have mentioned its just a normal part of there development ufortunatly, maby trying to be calm and not giving her the unwanted attention when she does it might help her stop and keep going with the signing for stop/no etc
    Goodluck hun hopefully it wont last for to much longer xx

Sorry but I did giggle cos oh my goodness Elijah is the same! Oskar wasn't one of those so it was hmmm a lovely surprise? haha. He's actually not as bad as he used to be though. He used to throw it and I would tell him... nooooooooooooooooooo, no we do not throw it on the floor... but I would say it in happy voice. We would take his bowl and say ta to him. He now a lot of the time will hold his fork or cup out to you and start saying ta for you to take it. If you aren't fast enough though, he will drop them one by one onto the floor! lol. He also has a mess mat under his high chair.

Oh, did I mention that tonight he just looked at me and kept dropping bits? Lol I just told him daddy will get cranky hahaha.

She's learning physics - how gravity works! Gotta keep checking that things keep hitting the floor if you drop them. One day she'll believe that gravity works all the time, until that day keep doing what you're doing and maybe get a tarp for under the chair