Thread: Thumb sucking - 6mth old

Default Thumb sucking - 6mth old

DD is officially a thumb sucker. Over the last few weeks we've noticed her sucking on it when she's sleepy and can hear her do so over the monitor during the night. Hey don't get me wrong, it's great as she puts herself back off to sleep.

The last 3 days though, all she wants to do, awake or going off to sleep, is suck on her thumb! She doesn't have a dummy and we've never tried one. I don't really think we need one? I guess my Q is should I be discouraging it at least when she's awake, or just go with the flow? Or am I just over-thinking things too much (I'm quite skilled at that!)

I guess it could be related to teething, but so many things over the last month could be, and there's no sign of any yet.

I wouldnt' stress about it. Aged 3-9 months my son had his fingers/thumbs in his mouth all the time (well, when nothing else was in there) but then he just stopped.
    I suspect trying to stop her would only make her more determined.

Yeah I kinda figure it would be hard to stop her anyways, I think I got caught up in the negative comments everyone's been making about it. Grrrrr I thought I'd learnt to just let them slide.....

Thanks Marcellus

If she's 16 and still sucking it then maybe you can worry...
    I don't really understand why sucking a dummy would be better than sucking a thumb. Anyway, it's just what babies do.

Missy has just started sucking her fingers. Tonight I was feeding her as usual at bedtime and she pulled away from boobie as if really annoyed with me, stuck her fingers in her mouth and fell asleep. Cheeky!!

Sue x

DD1 was an avid thumb sucker from 10 weeks to 2.2 years,...... boy she was a greaaaaaaaaaaaaaat sleeper we could often hear her through the monitor sucking her thumb! we loved it though i wont lie, it has caused some teeth issues BUT that was because she sucker her thumb upside down weird child!